In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

hornady die ??

toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
Got a set of hornady dies with a used rifle that I purchased, but there were no instructions with them. I'm used to RCBS where you turn the sizer die down about a 1/4 turn after they touch the shell holder, however, by what I can find online about the H's you just turn them down until they touch and leave them there. Is that correct? Any other difference in the seater die than backing off a 1/4 turn from the shell holder? Thanks in advance.

Dies are for a 6.5x55 mouser[:D]

Comments

• Options
    noyljnoylj Member Posts: 172 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Call Hornady for instructions. They'll send you a copy.
    Google Hornady die instructions: http://www.hornady.com/assets/files/manuals-current/metalic-reloading/Hornady full length dies.pdf

Standard is NOT to cam-over.
    Here is what I do:
    Raise ram with shell holder all the way up.
    Screw die body down until it contacts the shell holder.
    Lower the ram, insert case, and raise ram.
    With case in die, tighten the lock ring.
    To adjust head space (at this setting with the sizing die for bottleneck cases, it is possible to move the shoulder too far down for proper head space dimension), raise the die up until the case just chambers completely.
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think that just about all the dies that I've ever used pretty much use the same adjustments. Just screw them in until they touch the shell holder and then fine tune'em until you get what you want.

The Lee expander/power thru die is the only one I've ever messed with that the directions say to back out a full turn after it touches the shell holder and then fine tune. All the others are a quarter or half turn back + or -.