In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

60 gr Nosler

Partition shot for crap........

I don't have the specifics of the load yet, but why WOULDN'T a 60 gr partition shoot decently out of a Rem SPS, 22-250(AI)? I believe the barrel is a 14" twist, and I KNOW it's a factory heavy barrel, 22"-24" long
The guy who worked up the loads is an experienced reloader, both in general and specific to the 22-250, so among other things I expect that he used powders appropriate to the 22-250 (H-380, etc)

From what I understand, only 2 shots of one particular 3-shot group were even on paper @ 100 yds!

Edit: Throat erosion can be ruled out, as the AI converted barrel has 50 rounds through it...
I won't be able to speak with him, or gather any further info 'til Saturday at the earliest, but based on comments I'm leaning towards insufficient barrel twist more than ever.....

I know this isn't much info to go on, but I wanted to get some input to apply to what I learn about the specifics

Thanks in advance for your input!

~Z

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Maybe the throat is gone. She how it does with some 52 gr. BTHP.

The box of Barnes 55 TTSX solid copper says recommended for 1-10 or faster.
  • Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are so many variables, and info missing, that it is impossible to say. Once you get more, maybe it can be narrowed down a bit
  • RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You need a faster twist. I tried the in a Remington 223, 1-12 twist and they shot like crap.
  • DPHMINDPHMIN Member Posts: 906 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Years ago I tried the 60 gr Noslers in a Ruger 77 22-250 I had (1 in 14 twist). Seems like it shot fairly accurate, but 52-55 gr bullets were noticeably more accurate.
  • 62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The partition bullet is slightly longer than the same weight cup and lead core bullet and the longer a bullet is the quicker the twist needs to be to stablilize properly. Usually 55 grains are about as heavy as 1 - 14" will be real accurate with - there are always exceptions. Either rebarrel with a quicker twist or use a shorter bullet.
  • wanted manwanted man Member Posts: 3,276
    edited November -1
    My initial thought was that the twist was just a tad too slow for the 60 gr bullet, seems several of y'all suspect the same.
  • Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    I'd check the target to see if the bullets were tipping from insufficient spin.
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    The 1/12 twist was why Colt went with 1/9 for the 62gr [;)]
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 60 grain Nosler and Hornady bullets are at the upper limit of bullet weight my older Rem 700's will shoot accurately(?). 2" groups are adequate for the shorter range at which a 22/250 w/60 grain bullets would be suitable for deer hunting(the reason these were loaded). My 1-14 twist 220 Swift gets 3" groups with 60 grain Hornady SP.
    As mentioned, a 22/250AI might already have throat erosion. Maybe try seating further out/closer to the rifling if mag length allows. We had a .223 that had the throat so worn the only bullet it would shoot well was the 70 grain Speer(?)seated as long as the mag would allow(about .2" or so over max)
  • guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by RobOz
    You need a faster twist. I tried the in a Remington 223, 1-12 twist and they shot like crap.

Not necessarily....I have a 22" 1-14 twist barreled Savage 110 that shoots 60gr partitions into about 1" at 200 yards.

Wanted man is talking about a 22-250 AI, not the .223. As you know, there can be several hundred fps difference at the muzzle between those two chamberings. My load (using Hodgdon Superperformance) is on the low end and is clocked at 3360 fps. I also had a load using W760 that was almost as good, but I never did chronograph it. My best estimate is about 3350 fps.

My best guess would be that he may not have generated enough speed to get the 1-14 twist to stabilize it yet. Either that or your rifle just does not like them.