In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

beretta/stoeger cougar

rp85rp85 Member Posts: 360 ✭✭✭
hello;

does anyone reload cast bullets for the 9mm beretta/stoeger 8000 cougar using ww231, bullseye, or accurate #5? if so, powder type, amount, and o.al.?

have good accuracy in 3 different rugers and a brn. hi power, but the cougar is giving me fits.

been using bullseye and ww231. cast bullets are the lee 124gr tl and lee 125rnf. both molds have been "beagled". bullets are sized to .357.

with an o.a.l. on 125gr.-tl is 1.140" and o.a.l. on the 125rnf is 1.050", we get good accuracy in my other 9mm but not the cougar.

bullets are tumbled lubed. reloads are just at or a little above starting speeds because I get very good accuracy in the rugers and browning. alloy is wheel weights, water quenched at time of casting. speed in not important to me, just accuracy.

after several hundred rounds fired it's time to call "time out" and ask for suggestions. just trying to save powder and primers chasing accuracy on the cougar. thanks for any input.

rp

Comments

• Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do you have an experimental control?
    That is, is the Cougar accurate with factory loads or jacketed bullet reloads?
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Bore size of COUGAR LARGER THAN OTHER 2 PISTOLS this plus Sort of light loads causing the bullets to seal in the bore or take the rifling.
  • Options
    noyljnoylj Member Posts: 172 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How does it shoot with factory ammo?
    9x19 has never been all that accurate.
    9x19 has a range of barrel groove diameters from about 0.354" to 0.362". Really need to slug a 9x19 barrel. 0.357" lead bullets, however, are almost always very good.
    9x19 can be VERY particular about bullets.
    COL is dependent on:
    bullet ogive/meplat
    magazine lips and how soon they round is released
    feed ramp geometry
    chamber throat length
    You may need a "custom" COL. I like to have my lead bullets just touch the lede/rifling.
  • Options
    rp85rp85 Member Posts: 360 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    thanks for input. factory and cast reloads are about the same. issues on that test day was operator. more testing tomorrow.

give up on bullseye and now trying ww231.

thx again for input.

rp