In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Hornady 75 gr Amax load for Ar

brechtbrecht Member Posts: 305 ✭✭✭
Hello
Im looking for load data for Hornady 75 gr Amax in 223 or 5.56x 45 that fits into the Ar mag. Hormadys published data has too long col.

Comments

• NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,566 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Hodgdon site has data for 75 grain bullets (not the Amax) seated to 2.25. I believe the max COL for an AR mag is 2.26.
  • RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For all intents and purposes the 75 Amax is to long for the AR magazine. The 75 grain Hornady BTHP and the 77 grain Sierra OTM will work in the AR mags. I like ball powder so I would be looking at CFE223, BLC2, TAC and H335. All of my load development with ball powder would be with either a CCI 41 or other SR mag primer.

http://www.ramshot.com/load-data/

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/
  • cbyerlycbyerly Member Posts: 689 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rob is right about bullet seating. Try 24.2 grains of Varget.
  • brechtbrecht Member Posts: 305 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was not aware of the COL issue when I bought a whole bunch of them. I was originally planning to load with Win748 (I'm low on Varget.) to be shot out of a 24" bull barrel with a 1 in 8 twist.I'm just wondering about the pressure increase when setting the bullet 13 thousands deeper.
    I guess I'll start with 22.5 gr which is a moderate 223 load at full length.
  • brechtbrecht Member Posts: 305 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    nevermind they cannot be seated.
    anyone interrested in 200 moly coated 75 gr AMAx ans 100 80 gr AMAX let me know. Peter
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    feed them by hand.[;)]
  • RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JustC
    feed them by hand.[;)]

That's about as much fun as drinking NA beer.[:D]Though, them high power shooter don't seem to mind.
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by brecht

anyone interrested in 200 moly coated 75 gr AMAx ans 100 80 gr AMAX let me know. Peter

Was up until you said the "M" word.[:o)][:D]
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by FrancF
    quote:Originally posted by brecht

Was up until you said the "M" word.[:o)][:D]

YEP, was going to see how much for my custom 700, 1/8 Douglas bbl [^]
    no M word goes in it [B)][xx(]