In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

RED Winchester AA Shotgun 12g Hulls

bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
I bought a 1000 hull lot of once fired AA red hulls from a shooting range. I have had nothing but problems with the hulls crushing. I've loaded 1000's of the light gray(older) and the dark gray(new style) and have never crushed one.

Ive made multiple adjustments on my MEC Sizemaster and i'm still getting crushed hulls. I can load a box of 25 and get 5-8 crushed per box.

Anyone else have this problem with the RED AA hulls?

Comments

• longspur riderlongspur rider Member Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Are these HS hulls? Are you using HS style wads?
  • 1917watercooled1917watercooled Member Posts: 93 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not me. I have several large storge bins full of them. I shoot them until they split or petals blow off.
  • BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    IF they are the newer HS style hulls you will need the HS wads like longspur has said. I switched to Rem STS as they load the same as the Old AA hulls and I get a few more loads from them on average.
  • bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, I have the HS stlye hulls.
    I load 3 loads in 12g all Win AA hulls:

32.5gr HS-6 1 1/4oz w/ Clayduster Yellow WAA12F114 wad

17gr Red Dot 1 1/8oz w/ Western Orange WT12 wad

21.5gr Green Dot 1 1/8oz w/ Western Orange WT12 wad
    ALL with WIN209 primer

All these i've loaded this winter and spring and all problem with smashing. Like I said earlier, never had problem with gray hulls.

My supplier said my starter crimp not low enough. I tried up/down way up/down still crushing about 5 out of 25.

Any ideas?

quote:Originally posted by longspur rider
    Are these HS hulls? Are you using HS style wads?
    edited November -1
    I lose hulls faster than I out use them[|)]

How do you tell HS wads?

quote:Originally posted by BHAVIN
    IF they are the newer HS style hulls you will need the HS wads like longspur has said. I switched to Rem STS as they load the same as the Old AA hulls and I get a few more loads from them on average.
    edited November -1
  • ZerobeatZerobeat Member Posts: 124 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've loaded red AA hulls for years. Clay Buster CB1118-12 (WAA12 replacements), 17.7 grains Green Dot, 1 1/8oz #7.5. Only problem I've really had is the occasional twisted wad. Using a MEC Grabber.
    edited November -1
    What do you mean by twisted wad?

I did a search on HS wads and some are tapered on the base to slide past the plastic cup in the bottome of the hull. My WAA12F114 wads are not tapered but my WT12's are. I wonder if the bottom of the wad is getting jammed?

quote:Originally posted by Zerobeat
    I've loaded red AA hulls for years. Clay Buster CB1118-12 (WAA12 replacements), 17.7 grains Green Dot, 1 1/8oz #7.5. Only problem I've really had is the occasional twisted wad. Using a MEC Grabber.
  • ZerobeatZerobeat Member Posts: 124 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bambambam
    What do you mean by twisted wad?

I did a search on HS wads and some are tapered on the base to slide past the plastic cup in the bottome of the hull. My WAA12F114 wads are not tapered but my WT12's are. I wonder if the bottom of the wad is getting jammed?

quote:Originally posted by Zerobeat

Occasionally, a wad won't feed quite right through the finger, maybe gets cocked on the case. It creates a noticeable lump in the hull. When you "candle" it, you can see the wad is twisted, or cocked. When I say occasionally, I mean maybe once every 1000 shells, or so. Some I have been able to fire, and successfully reuse the hulls, others I've had to cut apart and salvage.
  • longspur riderlongspur rider Member Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a problem like you described with my MEC 600, but it would crush all kinds of hulls. I adjusted the crimp stater & the crimper itself. The biggest help was using HS style wads & adjusting the amount of shot the loader was throwing. Works perfect everytime now. No matter what type of hull i'm loading. I load mostly STS, & AA HS hulls.
  • JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,385 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, I have the same experience, crushed hulls. So do many of the other people I shoot with. I have adjusted the sizemasters several times and am getting by, but I prefer Remington hulls now, and there is a dramatic difference. AA is not the old standby anymore.
    edited November -1
    That's what I wondered. I never had crushed shell before.

I used to have some STS when I first started loading. The ones I had were about 1/16th taller than AA and I used them up and eliminated then because they crimped diffrent than AA. Maybe I need to trade in for them.

quote:Originally posted by JimmyJack
    Yes, I have the same experience, crushed hulls. So do many of the other people I shoot with. I have adjusted the sizemasters several times and am getting by, but I prefer Remington hulls now, and there is a dramatic difference. AA is not the old standby anymore.
  • Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have loaded thousands of Win AA red hulls on my Dillon 900 with great results. I use 19.5 grains of red dot pushing 1 1/8 oz shot with WAA12 wads. These loads are great for 3-gun shooting on metal plates as well as birds.
  • XP100XP100 Member Posts: 436 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    18 gr. Red Dot, CB4118 Windjammer clone. Win primer.

Try turning the start crimp dowm to close it tighter. I had a problem with a ring where the base wad stops until I adjusted the start crimp.
    edited November -1
    I GOT IT FIXED....I think.

The cam that roles the edge may have been the culprit. It's above the final crimp station, just a small bolt that adjusts the cam up and down.

I think the 1 1/4oz shells I was loading were really a crappy choice of supplies giving the majoity of headache. I probly should have used a diffrent wad of hull for the 1 1/4oz

I switched back to the normal WT12,Red Dot,1 1/8oz load w/ the cam adjusted and no crushed shells. And as a test I moved the cam down and started getting crease lines. I put it back and PERFECTION.

I am so happy to finally get that dang thing figured out[:p]