In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Given a bunch of loose primers - how to make safe

altecgbaltecgb Member Posts: 165 ✭✭✭
I was given a 1lb powder bottle full of large pistol cci primers and realize that it's not a safe way to store primers. I'm guessing there must be 500-700 in the bottle. So what should I do? Ideally I would be able to find primer storage trays but I can't seem to find them. My next thought was to maybe buy a lot of Dillon primer tubes and full them up. Worst case I could store the bottle in a shed on the edge of my property.

What do you think?

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They are a bomb in a jar and could detonate if the jar is dropped. I wouldn't buy a bunch of extra tubes for $25 worth of primers. Maybe put them in several plastic pistol shell boxes.

Store them loaded into cases with powder and bullets. Good reason to go shooting and make some empty cases to load.
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would go with the remote storage idea, just taking out a hundred or two at a time to load. Handle carefully.
  • AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Like probably most reloaders, I drop the empty primer boxes in the waste basket. There is not usually more than 1 or 2 in there before that gets emptied. So I don't have the trays to send you. You might ask around at gun shops and people you know who reload and might pick some up that way. But be sure you re-label your trays to reflect the primers you put in them. I wouldn't worry so much about remote storage; your primers are not going to detonate just sitting there but rough handling is liable to set them off. I would be especially careful of kids handling your jar--they'll shake them, sure as the dickens! Also there will be some primer dust in the jar once it's emptied. Make sure you rinse that out with water.
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Buy a cheap cooking sheet and lay them out on it.
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You know for a fact that all the primers are all one kind and all one make, i.e. standard versus Magnum primers? Sorry I'm just kind * about that stuff when I get a bunch a loose anything in a jar.
  • EhlerDaveEhlerDave Member Posts: 5,158 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by FrancF
    You know for a fact that all the primers are all one kind and all one make, i.e. standard versus Magnum primers? Sorry I'm just kind * about that stuff when I get a bunch a loose anything in a jar.

This is a very good question.

Myself I would get a roll of tape and stick them to in in strips then use them for my loads that shoot my wax bullets. Then it would not matter on standard or mag primers.
    Just smile and say nothing, let them guess how much you know.
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Long fuse. Field. Something to hide behind. Run like hell=fun.

Seriously though, there's a good reason these things come individually packed. Just handling them to separate them would give me the willies.

How about you ask on the wanted section for some old primer trays? Some members here go through them like water. Carefully lift some out, dump on the tray, and lightly shake to fill and put away properly.
  • ToolfogieToolfogie Member Posts: 1,254 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If that bottle is indeed full you have a lot more than 500-700 primers. I'm thinkin' thousands.[:0]
  • altecgbaltecgb Member Posts: 165 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all of the responses. I have put my feelers out at the local club and through friends to try and find some original trays for storage.
  • midnightrunpaintballermidnightrunpaintballer Member Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    merry Christmas. I just dug through my reloading trash bucket and came up with 10 empty trays for you. Need address.

Aww crap. Most of mine are small primer trays. Ohh well, I'll send you what I have if you want it.
    edited November -1
    I don't think they would be big enough but thanks for the offer.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by altecgb
    I don't think they would be big enough but thanks for the offer.

There are some large trays in there too. Ill get a count for you when i get home from work. Might as well send you as many as i can. I cant stand the thought of something useful going in the trash. Besides, they were buried under a ton of worn out media and i already washed them for you. ;)At a quick glance, i saw three large trays last night. Ill double check and let you know.
    edited November -1
    edited November -1
    three trays for large primers and random labeled cardboard sleeves is what I've come up with.
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There's a story in Gen Hatcher's Notebook of a worker in a Govt arsenal
    who jiggled a bucket of primers as he walked.
    The bucket detonated, killing him.
  • 62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Consider pouring household ammonia into the container and let it marinate for a few days. This should render them inert and safe.
  • machine gun moranmachine gun moran Member Posts: 5,198
    edited November -1
    I wondered about the cumulative explosive power of primers once, so I filled an empty 30-06 case about half-full with them, and crimped it over. The case was shot with an accurate .22 from 50 yards, and even that powered case frags enough to draw blood from my cheek right below my glasses. Ever since, I will not screw with bulk primers at all.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The biggest boom I saw was a coffee can full of primers at a commercial reloading facility that loaded millions of rounds per month.

The 3 pound can was full of loose primers swept off the floor; when the 50 cal bullet hit the can at 200 yards the concussion was like a slap to the ears. It was a heck of a big boom!

I would wait for a rainy humid day to carefully pour them out and place them in zip lock snack bags, about 100 in each. You can store them spaced apart until trays can be obtained.

Have you considered calling Federal or CCI to buy some trays?
  • A J ChristA J Christ Member Posts: 7,534
    edited November -1
    Give them back to whoever gave them to you.

Thats a bomb ready to cause some serious damage!
  • nyforesternyforester Member Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would test a few first with a hammer before going through all this trouble. Put on ear plugs and smash a half dozen on the concrete floor in garage.

Maybe they got wet and its all a moot point.

If they are good, then get primer boxes from paintballer
    Abort Cuomo
    edited November -1
    Several people have given me boxes but I could use more.
  • WinMikeWinMike Member Posts: 144 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wow....just saw this thread. Altecgb, good to know you're still alive [:0]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by altecgb
    Several people have given me boxes but I could use more.

I will be loading up some more 45's in the next few days. pm me your address again and i'll send you some more.