In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

where to find lead

mrankhmrankh Member Posts: 915 ✭✭✭✭
me and a friend are looking to find some lead for casting, hes got a 32 and a 50 and i have a 45 and i was just wondering what are some good places to find lead cheap or free besides scrap yards. anyone have any places you know of that sometimes have lead floating around

Comments

• hobo9650hobo9650 Member Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bought 100 lbs of wheel weights a few weeks ago from a business that sells/installs bunchs of tires.
  • MaxOHMSMaxOHMS Member Posts: 14,715
    edited November -1
    Lead is used as flashing (partial) on clay tile roofs.

I was installing a multi-fold door system on a house a few years ago while the roofers were working.

I picked up several pounds of scrap pieces.
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    Usually a son-in-laws * is full of it. [:p]
  • bartman45bartman45 Member Posts: 3,008 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My plumber told me that lead sheeting was used as a waterproofing membrane for a long time. Was also used for other plumbing projects. Also commonly used in walls of hospitals and xray rooms of doc's offices. Was given 15# of sheeting, and it will be very easy to melt, and it is pure lead. Talk with any plumbers or remodel folk you might know......
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    check the internet auction sites.
    You can buy freshly foundered casting metal from midway usa and several other reloading businesses.
    Be prepared to pay through the nose since prices have shot up(pun intended) over the last few years.
    I procured about 1000# of wheel weights and 400-500# of linotype when the prices started trending up starting 4-5 years back.
    Be advised that zinc based(stick on) balancing weights are not useable for casting.
  • 17tobyracing17tobyracing Member Posts: 3,429 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hobo9650
    Bought 100 lbs of wheel weights a few weeks ago from a business that sells/installs bunchs of tires.

You're lucky. The usage of lead wheel weights has been banned here in the People's Republic of New York. Getting tougher to find affordable lead.
  • BGHillbillyBGHillbilly Member Posts: 1,927 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Buy a bunch of plastic toys made in China and melt them down.
  • hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,119 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    got some from a electrician who was remodling a local hospital, it came from the x-ray room. it is real thin and soft as can be, came from the walls as sheilding I think.
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    edited November -1
    "Bought 100 lbs of wheel weights"..............keep in mind that wheel weights are fine for casting rifle/pistol bullets but is much to hard for muzzle loaders. check with local plumbing shops, flashing and the old cast iron pipe fittings used pure lead.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • gesshotsgesshots Member Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost
    Go here.
    http://www.rotometals.com/Bullet-Casting-Alloys-s/5.htm

Great Link!

THANKS [^][^][:D]
    It's being willing. I found out early that most men, regardless of cause or need, aren't willing. They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger. I won't. ~ J.B. Books
  • HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    I go to My Local Gunclub Range, and Mine the Berms.

It is a lot of work to clean, Smelt, and separate the Copper, BUT - I am SO GREEN, Recycling the POISON!
  • leadlead Member Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm right here
  • SammowrySammowry Member Posts: 71 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sir,

If I may - ASSUME - that the calibers listed in YOUR question - you are casting for BLACK POWDER arms; rifles and revolvers; you are looking for PURE LEAD.

In my personal hunt for "sourcing" and research for BP arms is that PURE LEAD is best for them. My hunt/search for a local source was no farther than my nearest fishing gear supply. Lead Wire on a spool; diameter does not matter. It should be very close (99%) to PURE LEAD. It won't be in-expensive. But it IS a quick source for your casting.

1 or 2 pounds will make LOTS of projo's for your BP arms.

If I may also - there is a BLACK POWDER section on this forum, of which to "mine" much more information.

Sir - thank you for your service, keep your powder dry, and a Merry Christmas to you and your family.
  • fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    What about lead fishing weights?
    They seem REALLY soft to me.
    edited November -1
    Fishing weights - down weights - etc. - from what I have learned - are alloyed or/and re-casted from wheel weights; i.e. they have a bit of antimony in them, to make them HARDER. (as they get thumped, dragged, mangled on sea floor and river bottoms.)

I am currently tinkering with COD down weights, shotgun shot, and lead free solder to get "closta" a Lyman #2 alloy mix for modern boolit castings. Wheel weights, from my research, have trace amounts of arsenic, which helps in the alloy mix. Shotgun shot has a percentage of antimony, making the alloy harder. MAGNUM shotgun shot has MORE antimony but is HEAVILY coated in GRAPHITE; lubricating the shot for the bore. The graphite, for my mix, is just more dross to skim off the top of the melt. Just regular shotgun shot is my choice best. Lead Free solder - right on the package - states; 95% TIN, 5% Antimony.

All of this just to cast some (less than 50) 38 caliber boolits (i.e. Cast Boolits Dot Com) for plinking... but success after aging them for a week - with a hardness test of 18 HBN. (21 is around lino type hardness)

Oh - and don't get me starte on LUBE RECIPES... Gack! Snort! wheeez...

I hope this explanation is clearer than mud.

Keep your powder dry - Merry Christmas.
  • OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I go to local gas stations and tire centers. I have a whole shopping cart full of lead. I cant even roll the cart its so heavy. Think upsp will let me ship it for their flat rate????[:D]I use it to make fishing weights and 50 cal bullets for my muzzle loader.
    edited November -1
    In the State of WASHINGTON (think Pacific North West - bucket and buckets of rain everyday) has passed LAWS against the use of LEAD for wheel weights... a few years ago. This "cheap easy" source disappeared... the "green shirts" environmentalists tried to do the same for FISHING WEIGHTS but there is a BIG INDUSTRY for fishing out here... and it got smacked down quickly.

This is why I went "sourcing" at fishing supply stores...

sigh.

My STATE is OCCUPIED. I feel that soon I will be required to SHOW I.D. just to go to the local store to get a loaf of bread... Ooops - wrong section - please disregard the last few sentences - it belongs in the POLITICAL section. sorry.

Keep your powder dry.
  • motodad889motodad889 Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have lots of scrap lead pipe.you can have. I live in alliance ohio.
  • EVILDR235EVILDR235 Member Posts: 4,398 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Chrysler built cars have a lead weight under the steering wheel to make the wheel drop when you pull the tilt the wheel lever.Rear wheel drive Ford and Mercury cars have a tin can looking device mounted on the rear of the tranny.I think it is a anti vibration device.The tin can is full of lead shot.lots of forklifts have lead counter weights.

EvilDr235
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Sammowry
    Sir,

If I may - ASSUME - that the calibers listed in YOUR question - you are casting for BLACK POWDER arms; rifles and revolvers; you are looking for PURE LEAD.

In my personal hunt for "sourcing" and research for BP arms is that PURE LEAD is best for them. My hunt/search for a local source was no farther than my nearest fishing gear supply. Lead Wire on a spool; diameter does not matter. It should be very close (99%) to PURE LEAD. It won't be in-expensive. But it IS a quick source for your casting.

1 or 2 pounds will make LOTS of projo's for your BP arms.

If I may also - there is a BLACK POWDER section on this forum, of which to "mine" much more information.

Sir - thank you for your service, keep your powder dry, and a Merry Christmas to you and your family.

No bpcr shooter I know or read of uses pure lead for casting bullets. Pure lead does not give a good mold fill, and is not hard enough to prevent leading. Tin, pewter,and solder are added to reach a 20:1 or 30:1 lead:tin. I've put 10.000 rounds through two Sharps '74s in 45 cal, and have always used a 20:1 mix.
    A cap & ball or front stuffer will be fine with pure lead.

A pound of lead is 7000 grains. Divide that by the weight of your bullet, and there is your yield. My 480gr bullets are 14 per pound. Barley enough to get my barrel warmed up....
  • big genobig geno Member Posts: 2,685 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is a guy i know that sells lead ingots.His name is big geno. [;)] Just click on his name and send him a message.
  • 320090T320090T Member Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Quote: "MAGNUM shotgun shot has MORE antimony but is HEAVILY coated in GRAPHITE; lubricating the shot for the bore."

If the wad is doing it's job, the shot never touches the bore. The primary purpose of graphite is to keep the pellets from bridging in the loader and sticking together in the shot cup.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jltrent
    Old car batteries and radiators.

Melting lead from old car batteries is a good way to die due to contamination and deposits from the residual compounds used to make the batteries function as they create the same types of gasses used in WW 1 by the Germans.
    edited November -1
    Sir - 320090T,

I stand corrected,

and I learned something.

Thank you.

hopefully - the fellow who started this thread/question will chime in with his findings.

Keep your powder dry...
  • mrankhmrankh Member Posts: 915 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    im still looking around havent had much time to do much else but work for the past few days
    edited November -1

NEVER EVER USE CAR BATTERIES. IT IS A VERY GOOD WAY TO DIE.
  • mrankhmrankh Member Posts: 915 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost

NEVER EVER USE CAR BATTERIES. IT IS A VERY GOOD WAY TO DIE.

i picked up on that one haha didnt seem to make much sense to me very dangerous only took a second to think about that
  • nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    tire shops. Probably got 200 lbs of it in wheel weights sitting around the yard and shed.
    edited November -1
    Why Car Batteries Are Dangerous

Maintenance free/low maintenance batteries use calcium metal-doped lead to catalyze the hydrogen gas generated from water electrolysis back into water. That is what makes the batteries low maintenance or maintenance free, you don't need to add water to the cells as often like in the old days. When the battery lead is melted down there is enough sulfuric acid from residual electrolyte trapped in the lead dioxide and lead framework of the battery plates to react with the small amount of calcium metal in the lead alloy.

Normally when sulfuric acid (or water) gets in contact with calcium metal it undergoes a rather vigorous reaction that generates hydrogen gas. In and of itself this is no big deal, hydrogen is a simple non-toxic asphyxiant that is also flammable. But the lead alloy used in batteries also contains a bit of antimony and even arsenic to help harden and strengthen the lead to withstand the vibration and general knocking-about batteries have to withstand in order to survive normal automotive use.

When hydrogen comes in contact with arsenic and antimony, or compounds of these two elements, the hydrogen reacts to form ammonia analogues called arsine and stibine, AsH3 and SbH3. Both of these are heavy gases and both have the similar characteristic odors of rotting fish. In World War One the Germans experimented with these, along with phosphine, another rotting-fish-smelling gaseous ammonia analogue with formula PH3, as war gases. As such they were highly effective since they are deadly in amounts too small to easily detect.

In even smaller amounts that are too small to immediately kill they cause rather painful lung damage that often eventually leads to emphysema and lung cancer.
  • victorj19victorj19 Member Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If your dentist hasn't updated his equipment, ask the doctor. He may have saved the little lead foil sheets covering the x-ray films. I think they're pure. Mine saves and gives them to o0nce a year.

I just go on EBay and run a search for lead or soft lead and buy from there. Much simpler than chasing down sources, melting down and cleaning wheel weights (there's about a 25% loss from the clips, dirt, etc.). I'd rather spend my time casting the bullets.
  • goodgunpartsgoodgunparts Member Posts: 103 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Go to your local {elsewhere} and put in an add asking for lead. Offer to pay for it if you have to. Depends on where you are and if anyone else is offering to buy.

Raw lead is worth less then a buck on the open market right now. Stocks are up and used lead is down. I buy batteries for recycling and prices are down.

Scrap soft lead is maybe worth 50 cents a pound now. The local scrap yard asks way too much for lead. The only time I asked they wanted like $4 a pound.

Wheel weights are about 40 cents a pound.

I guess they do not like craig at his list. Insert that for elsewhere in the top of my post.
  • DBMJR1DBMJR1 Member Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Roofers throw away tons of pure lead every day.

Well, . . . Not me. [:D]

I cast all my bullets from roof plumbing vents. Every roof I change, I change the lead vents.
  • goodgunpartsgoodgunparts Member Posts: 103 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by DBMJR1
    Roofers throw away tons of pure lead every day.

Well, . . . Not me. [:D]

I cast all my bullets from roof plumbing vents. Every roof I change, I change the lead vents.

Construction people toss lots of stuff away every day. Best or worst I ever saw was brand new never used air handlers in a multi story hi-rise because the engineer specked the wrong units. The wrong ones were hung and never used. When removed the union workers dumped them in a dumpster.

Some day we will pay for our stupid ways, if we are not paying already.
  • fire for effectfire for effect Member Posts: 121 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When the local Air Aational Guard switched from F-16s to KC-135s, they had literally stacks of lead to get rid of. They used the lead to balance the air frame when they pulled the engines out of the F-16s to work on them.. They were 1/4" X 18" X 18" Sheets. I was able to get all I wanted. Wre had over two tons of the stuff. A couple years ago we hauled a ton of it to the salvage yard because the scrap prices were so high.
  • Fokker TriplaneFokker Triplane Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    A real good souce for cheap and quality lead is Roto Metal.com Or phone 1-800-779-1102. Been using them for years. I shoot black powder cap and ball weapons. Now with that said good luck in your quest.