In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Need Advice with Mech 600 JR

victorj19victorj19 Member Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭
I'm loading 1/2 oz of 7 1/2 shot for 410 and not very familiar with MEC 600 Jr (pre-82).

Problem is that the shot is sticking/bridging in the metal drop tube. I made sure that the bottom of the tube is just inside the wad guide fingers (I wasn't at first). The tube was removed and bore brushes run through it (dry).

I reamed the inside of the opening (like a brass pistol shell) but haven't tried it again (dinner sounded better).

Any ideas what else can be tried?

Comments

• dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Move the slide slow so the shot doesn't drop all at once.
    I have never had that problem with my 600's in 12&20ga.
    The small 410 tube probably is plugging when the shot is dumped fast.
  • CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    What Richard said. I've not had problems with 7 1/2s, but with 4s I load for grouse shooting, I keep a wrench handy, and tap the drop tube if they hang up.
    W.D.
  • geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
    edited November -1
    Been there. CaptMidninght has the only answer I've found (already tried what you are doing). Tap the tube and listen for the shot to fall. Might also want to have a small cup and wire in case it doesn't fall, hold the cup under the tube and push the wire up. Or tilt back the bottles and wire down.

Anything bigger then #9 has this problem. On far bigger shot I don't use the machine to drop the shot, I measure the shot on my scale and then use a funnel to load into the shell, slow but a lot less frustration.

Good luck
  • victorj19victorj19 Member Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you all.
  • B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Capn midnite-- Those must be some tuff grouse! why 4's please?
  • dg101windg101win Member Posts: 751 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had the same problem before in a JR. and a Grabber with #8's and #7 1/2's. I switched to magnum shot, it has a slightly higher antimony content(harder) and flowed better through the drop tube.