In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Older Lyman Turret Press

bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
I was looking at a few auctions on used Lyman 4 & 6 hole turret presses. The 4 hole is a 70's model and looks good. The 6 hole looks like a 80's model and looks decent. Anyone have an idea on pro's/con's on these Lyman turret presses?

Comments

• geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
    edited November -1
    I don't know about the 4 hole, but the 6 hole is a good unit.

Pro's:
    You can leave dies in the press so you don't have to keep changing them.
    Easy to rotate from die to die.
    Strong press, not junk.

Con's:
    Short stroke.
    Turret can flex a little more then a "C" press.

I use mine for all my final crimp dies, that way they are all perfectly set.

Best of luck.
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    I got my Lyman All American used in '74. Still tight as when new.
    There is a ad for a eight hole turret made for them.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I load all my match 45's on a Lyman All American.

It is a great pistol press.
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Great press, I have an extra If you want it. Just needs to be cleaned up from storage. 6 hole, Has some surface rust on the ram and needs a set screw for the shell holder.
  • bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do these presses have the standard size die holes?
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bambambam
    Do these presses have the standard size die holes?

Yes, 7/8-14tpi.
    edited November -1
    email sent

quote:Originally posted by FrancF
    Great press, I have an extra If you want it. Just needs to be cleaned up from storage. 6 hole, Has some surface rust on the ram and needs a set screw for the shell holder.
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a four hole All American that works fine. You need an adaptor
    to permit use of standard shell holders.Lyman has/had them plus manuals and accessories. Priming on the upstroke is a pain and slow so I wouldn't spend on those accessories.
    You can't use the RCBS primer pocket decrimper which uses a cup for a round ram to eject brass. The V notch end of a pry bar will work if you don't have too many to do.
    I like the tool but would like it better with 6 or 8 stations.
    The opening is maxed out for 30-06 length. Operations go a bit slow because of it. Pistol length cartridges go faster.
    I like the tool.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bambambam
    email sent

quote:Originally posted by FrancF

Back at ya-[:)]
  • Pistollero1050Pistollero1050 Member Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Great press for rifle reloading. I don't use the primer function tho. Rcbs makes a great bench primer press.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Pistollero1050
    Great press for rifle reloading. I don't use the primer function tho. Rcbs makes a great bench primer press.

Same here, I use the lee hand priming tool. I can feel the seat better.
  • RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you're bidding on a used unit, just make sure you don't end up with a Tru-Line turret press. Great units, but those do take the old nut cracker type dies and not the standard 7/14's.
  • joesjoes Member Posts: 484 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've got two all americans and love them. I called Lyman and they told me they stopped making them " cause they cost too much to make and could not charge enough to cover the cost to make them- the market would not allow it" and " they were way over built". I agree!
  • trapguy2007trapguy2007 Member Posts: 8,959
    edited November -1
    A friend gave me one 20 years ago .
    Still going strong .
    Found the priming system at a yard sale last year for $1 .[^]
  • oneoldsaponeoldsap Member Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've had a T-Mag 20+ years and I like it ! If you keep the Ram lubricated your Grandchildren can learn the Craft on it ! I have a dedicated press just for priming with a Lee Auto Prime II and the little Aluminum C frame Lee without compound leverage. It has worked great for years . I can tell when I'm priming a Federal case because there is very little resistance , I chuck them right into the trash , somehow I missed it earlier .
    edited November -1
    Franc,

I got the press in the mail today, THANK YOU[:D] You did a great job cleaning it up. I still can't believe you just gave it to me. There aren't alot of people that would do something nice like that. I just need to get it mounted and i'm off[;)]
    Thank You
    edited November -1
    Anytime- Sometimes I do that instead of giveaways. Surprised you got it today! USPS Told me friday. Anyway, enjoy![^]

It was my first press that I got for free when I first started out. A bunch of old timers that I knew from the gun shop got me started with extra stuff they had.

So I figured that press was given to me free to start out with, so now I am passing that on to you. It still has a lot of life left in it and is still pretty tight.

Might put some graphite on the ram It only has a very light coat of oil.