In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Please list your favorite 44 Magnum loads

floorguy24floorguy24 Member Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭✭✭
Ok, if you don't mind, I'd like to see what everyones favorite loads are for 44 Magnum pistol.

Please include primer/powder/grains/bullet.

Thank You! [:D]

Comments

• CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    23grs H110, Win LP primer, 240 gr. Oregon Trail SWC or RN FP.
    I shoot this in a Colt Anaconda, you can go 24gr H110 in a Ruger, 23 works well for bowling pins in my Anaconda. I load Star brass, best I've found right out of the box.
    Read your book, don't reduce H110 loads below what the book says.
    W.D.
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Used to load 21gr.2400 behind a 240gr JHP.
    Went to 23.5gr H-110 for the same bullet.
    Always used a standard primer. Didn't see a need for a magnum one.
  • oneoldsaponeoldsap Member Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    300 Gr. XTP over 20 Gr. W-296 ! ( Rugers only )
  • reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    my pet load for the range is: 16.0grs of BlueDot, Winchester LP primer and a 240gr JHP, 1.6 OAL..my 2 cents...reloader44mag
  • RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    240 grain hard cast SWC or 240 XTP, 21 grains/2400 with CCI 350 or 22 grains with CCI 300. Accuracy and velocity indistinguishable for both loads. Also the old standard of 17.5 grains, same powder, either primer. Lately I've moved down to 1,000 to 1,050 fps from previous levels of around 1,350. (6 1/2 to 7 1/2 " barrels.) Fine for deer at ranges I'm comfortable with and a lot more fun to shoot.
  • floorguy24floorguy24 Member Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Still taking notes here...[^]
  • wtroperwtroper Member Posts: 736 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My favorite load for my Ruger & FA revolvers is 22 gr of 2400 behind 240 gr XTP or 240 gr Speer Gold Dot. I do not shoot this load in my S&W revolvers.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    22.0 grains of 2400 pushing a 240 cast Keith style bullet.
  • JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,385 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you use anyones recipe other than a published one from a manual, you are braindead.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JimmyJack
    If you use anyones recipe other than a published one from a manual, you are braindead.

Mine is in the book, Lyman cast bullet handbook to be exact. It is my favorite, go-to load for accuracy in any 44 mag. it is a hot load but the 44 mag is a hot cartridge. [:D]
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JimmyJackOof

Mine are right out of a manual [;)]
    So who is braindead now [?][?][?]
  • floorguy24floorguy24 Member Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JimmyJack

Really??? No kidding.

Neither myself nor anyone posting on the above comments is braindead, including you. [^]

But thanks for the entertaining comment anyway. [}:)]

Meanwhile, back at the farm... anymore loads out there? Thanks again! [:)][:D][8D][:p]
  • RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Could be wrong about this, but I don't think that every good load is written in some manual. For that matter, from time to time, dangerous "errors" pop up in the best of them.
    NO LOAD, published or passed along by the Brethren, should be used without first being examined in light of common sense and published guidelines.
    [:D][:D]
    p.s. A pet peeve, but when giving loads, published or otherwise, please specify primer used. LIke all variables they can, and often do, make a difference.