In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Herters Press

mackcranemackcrane Member Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
I have a Herters Model 3 press that I can't keep the shell holders tight. They're held in by two set screws, and the holder moves on the down stroke when resizing. Does this realy have any effect on the reloading process? Thanks.

Comments

• bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Can you post a picture showing where you see movement?
  • gcs10gcs10 Member Posts: 32 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    RCBS makes an adaptor for the Herter's press that allows use of modern shell holders. I bought mine at MidwayUSA a couple of years ago.

Cort
  • FWAdditFWAddit Member Posts: 918 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A little movement doesn't hurt anything, because the shellholder is held firmly against the ram when you're resizing cases or seating bullets. The movement is a little irritating if you use the press for repriming, but it doesn't really impede the operation much.

I just keep an Allen wrench next to my Herter's press and tighten up the set screws when the holder gets too loose.

The RCBS adapters are a good deal if you can't get the original Herter's shellholders, but they're held in by the setscrews too, so they don't change the basic connection, which does get shackledy after a while. However, you could put in the adapter with the idea of fixing it permanently to the ram and using only standard shellholders from that time on. In that case, you could put Loctite on the setscrews.
  • mackcranemackcrane Member Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can't do pictures yet but I see what you are saying in that when the shell holder contacts the bottom of the die, then there is no play anywhere. Thanks.