In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

loading your own 37mm is dangerous! GRAPHIC!!!

burpfireburpfire Member Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭✭
here is what happens when you dont know what you are doing!! scroll down!
http://www.freewebs.com/grog/safety1.htm

Comments

• bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Oh, that poor man[:(]

I really didn't think I was going to see that.....
  • Mk 19Mk 19 Member Posts: 8,170
    edited November -1
    Wow, 6 years as a 45B and I have never seen a 203 come apart like that
  • Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    SO, I'll guess that someone loaded that round with something like Tannerite or similar composition. If that's what happened, shame on them.
  • Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Laredo Lefty
    SO, I'll guess that someone loaded that round with something like Tannerite or similar composition. If that's what happened, shame on them.

Even more likely is that they loaded it like a "normal" round. the 37 (and 40mm) rounds use a "high-low" pressure system. Below is a brief description of the system, along with some cutaways of various loadings (note the powder chamber size, VS the empty air space)

(Specimen, description and and photos courtesy of Mel Carpenter) quote: The 37mm version is shown here, with the sectioned round done by Paul Smith. It used the same basic high-low pressure design of the 40mm M79/M203 series of grenade cartridges where the propellant is contained in a small chamber - a copper cup in the MBA version - so it can burn properly while being contained under high pressure. The high pressure ruptures the copper cup, allowing gas to flow into the larger cartridge base where it's pressure is reduced in order to propel the stun-bag at it's low velocity of about 150 feet per second.
    cmo07junb.jpg

Below are a couple of 40mm experimentals
    cmo09sepa.jpg
    cmo10febc.jpg
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,131 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Didn't have to watch the clip to visualize what happened. As I've written a zillion times about "experimental" reloading:

The interval between trigger and tragedy is far too short to have second thoughts.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • oneoldsaponeoldsap Member Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm with you Rocky , got my fill of gore 40+ years ago . Now I try real hard to avoid it !