In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

338 Redneck

Heard of it? It was developed right here in eastern NC. Seems to be a pretty damn awesome round.
200 gr bullet, 3400 FPS, <76 gr powder. Faster than the 338 Lapua with less powder and less kick.
If anyone is interested in this round let me know, I know the guy that developed it.

Comments

• Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    CbtEngr01,

From your buddy's website:

338 REDNECKr Custom Built Rifles

"Pro Gun & Outdoor Sports owner Bill Plumlee is an accomplished gunsmith. He's taken commercially available weapons platforms and ballistics and has developed a high performance, long range sporting rifle that will impress the discriminating hunter.

Bill prefers the Remington 700 action and has built most of his custom 338 REDNECKr Rifles using that weapon. Other excellent rifles such as the Browning, Winchester and Finnish Tikka have been successfully adapted.

Bill took the .300 WSM cartridge and "necked it up" to .338 caliber. He's also adapted the .325 WSM cartridge. The 338 REDNECKr has capability to shoot bullets in the range from 185 gr - 250 gr. The weapon is optimized for the 200 gr - 210 gr range for maximum performance.

Sample Ballistics for 338 REDNECKr
    Bullet Weight Velocity
    200 gr 3250 fps (avg)
    225 gr 2900-2950 fps

Bill supplies custom reloads for the 338 REDNECKr. For DIYers, RCBS has the 338 REDNECKr tooling at their facility and can send you the correct die set for reloading.

Call Bill at 252-745-3444 to discuss your hunting plans and building a personal rifle for you. He builds a variety of custom rifles for hunting and target shooting. He does repairs, bluing and Parkerizing on all brands of weapons, and can provide parts.

We welcome inquiries."

Please do NOT take offense because I don't mean anything disparaging at all but in reality there isn't anyone who could prove who nor separate the developers of the .338 WSM from each other without a stopwatch. As soon as the brass became available, even to the chosen few who got 'first dibs', it was necked up and down to virtually every caliber available that was safe and some that weren't.

Now he may have been the first to slap the Registered Trademark symbol on his chosen name for this cartridge but that's all.

Anyway, I congratulate him for his promotion of this cartridge.

Best.
  • Options
    RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CbtEngr01
    Heard of it? It was developed right here in eastern NC. Seems to be a pretty damn awesome round.
    200 gr bullet, 3400 FPS, <76 gr powder. Faster than the 338 Lapua with less powder and less kick.
    If anyone is interested in this round let me know, I know the guy that developed it.

So your telling me that it will launch a 250 grain bullet at 3000fps?
  • Options
    CbtEngr01CbtEngr01 Member Posts: 4,340
    edited November -1
    I dont know what it'll do with the 250s. He tried a few different loads before getting to 3400 fps
  • Options
    nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dennisnielsen
    I am just a redneck with a Lapua. [:D]

Did you trade you overalls for it?