In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Anyone Reload Shotshells?

D@DD@D Member Posts: 4,407
I'm gonna start reloading for the 12ga, 20ga & I was wondering where do ya'll buy your shot from? My plans are to reload 7 1/2, 4 & 00buck.

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Haven't bought shot in many years, still have a bunch. I make my own OO and am planning on getting a mold for #4.
  • XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I buy my shot at the range where I shoot. Best price locally and members get a discount.
  • D@DD@D Member Posts: 4,407
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by charliemeyer007
    Haven't bought shot in many years, still have a bunch. I make my own OO and am planning on getting a mold for #4.

What do you use to make your own? Wheel weights?
    edited November -1
    In my one mold (a brass Frankford Arsenal 5 cavity 3 for 31 Colt and 2 for a Walker) I run pure soft. I have a Lyman single .323 for hard stuff. I also have the Lyman sabot slug 540 gr. that I like a lot. I will likely buy the Lee 18 cavity #4 even though I'm not fond of their molds.
  • geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
    edited November -1
    7.5 will feed thru almost any loader, like a MEC, but when you get to #4 or Buckshot I've always had to fill it by hand, not thru the bar.

MEC 600 Jr. machine is a very good starter if you are just buying your first machine. About 100 rounds/hr. at a comfortable rate, 15-20 minutes changeover, and lots of them used on the market.

You have to hunt for the best prices on shot. If you belong to a club see if they have a bulk order you can get in on.
  • cbyerlycbyerly Member Posts: 689 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    By the time you buy the equipment and components at todays prices, you will have to shoot a lot to justify the expense. Unless you shoot trap or skeet on a regular basis, you may find it more economical to just buy a few boxes now and then.
  • rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    True. When I was heavy in shooting trap and skeet, it cost $2.50 a box to reload with used hulls and $5.00 a box for Winchester AA Trap or Skeet loads.

Now with the cost of components, I don't see the savings as much, especially if you have to buy equipment.

FYI, most shotshell reloading equipment will last forever so if you can get a good deal, try to buy a used setup.
  • toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you can find reclaimed shot it works fine for practice. If you want to shoot competition and want to shoot factory loads winchester AA HS 12 gauge hulls are bringing about a dime each, so this lowers your cost by about $2.50 a box if you sell your hulls.

T67
  • bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I buy mine from 2-3 local guys that sell reloading supplies from their home.

Shot runs from $38-$50/bag right now depending on who I get it from. I reload #6 mostly for trap games and #7.5 from the concrete.

I have never had reclaimed shot available for me to buy, but some of my friends say they won't buy it because they are afraid they will get sand grit down their barrels. I've never had a chance to use it so I don't know?

I buy my hulls here on GB from "eel006". Best prices I've seen & most once fired. I use more Remignton Nitro or STS hulls than I do Win AA hulls. Remington hulls load better in my Mec Sizemaster than the Win AA's do.

I color code my hull all the shells I load. Gold Nitro hulls for magnum loads, green STS hulls for heavy shot, Red AA hulls for standard velocity/shot weight, grey AA hulls for 7/8oz or 1oz loads.

My loads are running me about $6.25-$6.50/box(lead is biggest cost). As said above, unless you are shooting a lot or shooting a strange load you can't find, you are money ahead to buy the cheap shells than to invest in the equipment.
    edited November -1
    Some reclaimed shot is washed, tumbled and graphite treated, fairly good stuff. I have seen some that looked dirty and not so clean.

Cheaper factory shell like Estate don't always function well in autoloaders.

The MEC Super Sizer that uses a collet will resize the rim. An important feature if you are feeding reloads in a 37 Ithaca.
  • geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
    edited November -1
    While I would agree that you can buy "sport loads" for 12 &20 almost as cheap as reloading them, you can save a lot of money loading your own #4's for hunting or buckshot and slugs.
    I did a cost check in April 2013 (your area may vary:
    Factory 12 ga. sport load at $6.00/box.
    Reloaded was a savings of $.775/box.

Factory 12 ga. Hunting loads at $9.00/box
    Reloaded was a savings of $2.13/box.

Factory 12 ga. Steel Shot Hunting at $16.00/box
    Reloaded was a savings of $9.10/box.

20 ga. saved the following:
    Sport- $1.70/box.
    Hunting - $4.22/box.

28 ga. saved the following:
    Sport - $5.05/box
    Hunting - $9.60/box

.410 saved the following:
    Sport 2.5" - $5.82/box

.410 3" hunting was $9.93/box

No labor time was included.

Hope that helps.
  • toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You are correct Charlie. Any good reclaimed shot is cleaned, sized and graphited. Great bang for the buck.

quote:Originally posted by charliemeyer007
    Some reclaimed shot is washed, tumbled and graphite treated, fairly good stuff. I have seen some that looked dirty and not so clean.

Cheaper factory shell like Estate don't always function well in autoloaders.

The MEC Super Sizer that uses a collet will resize the rim. An important feature if you are feeding reloads in a 37 Ithaca.