In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Home brew case lube that works...

Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
In case anyone is interested I found a recipe for some case lube using liquid lanolin and 99% isopropyl alcohol that works really well and it's cheap and there's no toxic liquids in it.

I mixed it up using one ounce of lanolin to 12 ounces of alcohol in a plastic spray bottle that I had laying around. I put the one ounce of lanolin in a shot glass and stuck it in the microwave oven for a few seconds to heat it up so it would mix easier. I put the bottle of alcohol in a bowl of hot water and let it set for a while to warm it up too.

I couldn't find any lanolin at the pharmacies near me so I ordered it on Amazon. A 4 ounce bottle cost me $9.03. The cheapest isopropyl alcohol I found was the Iso HEET in the red bottle that you can get at an auto parts store or at Walmart in the auto department for $1.97 for a 12 ounce bottle. It's 99% isopropyl alcohol, just not medical grade. Regular rubbing alcohol is around 96% which the rest is water.

I put my cases in a one gallon Zip-Lock bag and give them a few sprays of the mixture and rolled them around in it and dumped them on a towel on my work bench for a few minutes to let the alcohol dry and it left a nice film of lanolin on the cases that worked in my sizing die really well.

And as a bonus if you have rough dry hands the lanolin works good on them too.

41_Ag5sm_L_FL_SX425.jpg

414_VNW0w3l_L_SY355.jpg

DSCN3040.jpg[/url]

Comments

• buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have been using the Lee case lube(some sort of lanolin) and isopropyl alcohol in a spray bottle for years.No more stuck cases.
  • goldeneagle76goldeneagle76 Member Posts: 4,359
    edited November -1
    My home brew is the liquid lanolin and 99% alcohol (found online or in my grocery store)...works amazingly well and cheap. Same thing as your mix. You can make multiple huge bottles for what it costs to buy one name brand bottle.
  • AzAfshinAzAfshin Member Posts: 2,986 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Smitty, do you have any problems getting the stuff inside the case? I was under the impression that if it gets inside the case in can affect the primer and degrade it quickly over time.
  • Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by AzAfshin
    Smitty, do you have any problems getting the stuff inside the case? I was under the impression that if it gets inside the case in can affect the primer and degrade it quickly over time.

It's non-petroleum so it's not the kind of oil that deteriorates primers.
  • AzAfshinAzAfshin Member Posts: 2,986 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Perfect, thanks.