In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

anyone reloaded any 45-70 for a Pedersoli 1874 Sha

ArbyArby Member Posts: 668
I was wondering if it would take anything the 1895 Lever Action likes...Indications are that it will take std gov't 45-70 loads.

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have seen several in pieces years ago, apparently not always up to Ruger #1 data. I think back then they were for factory loads only at low pressure.

I think standard 45-70 ammo is Trapdoor safe. Specialty ammo like Buffalo Bore needs modern steel in a good design.
  • navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I THINK I remember reading that the Italian Sharps and Remington reproductions are NOT safe with Winchester and Marlin loads. Use only the 1873 Trapdoor Springfield loads. The action designs are 125 years old and the metallurgy content is unknown. I would proceed with caution and try to get as much technical info as possible.
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pedersolis are proof tested for regular use at 28000 CUP, SAAMI maximum. That is in the Lyman 1886 Winchester, 1895 Marlin category.
    If a 405 gr bullet at 1800 fps is not enough, you need a bigger gun.

Of course Black Is Best and a 500 at 1200 will do a lot.