In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Shelf Life of Reloading Manual Data

ArbyArby Member Posts: 668
I have Hornady's 7th Edition manual and Speer's 13th Edition Manual...both have newer editions out...10th and 14th respectively.

I have noted that sometimes the data in my manuals differ slightly from their web site data...a couple of times a difference of 1 or 2 grs.

This isn't a big problem for me since I generally use the same recipes that have served me well over the years, but I have had to call the powder mfg. on a couple occasions when loading for recently acquired weapons.

Question: How often do you (or should you) update your reloading manuals?

Comments

• B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I do it about every 5 years on a rotating basis. (not all at once) It is surprising how much milder the loads are today compared to 35 years ago. Powder changes, but more importantly the pressure measuring equipment has become more sophisticated.
    That said, I compare my data to the FREE print manuals offered by the various powder manufacturers and their web data. I try to cross review all of this to assure that a new load or new powder is safe in the recipe I choose to use. The more info you can garner the better off you are.

The free manuals are the best. I also ALWAYS buy Hodgeon's annual magazine. 7 bucks and contains a hell of a lot of info and tips.
  • ArbyArby Member Posts: 668
    edited November -1
    B17-P51....Thanks for your response. I took your advice and ordered Hodgdon's 2017 Reloading Magazine from Cabella's (on sale for 5 bucks and change). I will also upgrade my Hornady Manual to the current edition...my current one is 10 years old...My Speer's Manual is 19 years old so I guess it shouldn't be surprising that the numbers don't shake hands.
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why buy a manual once you know how the equipment operates. For loading data, there is plenty on the internet. I do buy the Hodgdon magazine format book occasionally, it can be more convenient to flip pages than to enter my wants on the keyboard.
  • noyljnoylj Member Posts: 172 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Update for new powders.
    Update for new cartridges.
    Beyond that, all the changes can be simply explained by testing with a new lot of powder, a new bullet, or even different cases and primers.
    This is why we start at the start load and work up.
  • 243winxb243winxb Member Posts: 264 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lots of data at Hodgdon and Alliant. Alliant will every send you a manual for free, if you ask. http://www.alliantpowder.com/resources/catalog.aspxThis works for this 72 year old reloader. Good info below by noylj quote:Originally posted by noylj
    Update for new powders.
    Update for new cartridges.
    Beyond that, all the changes can be simply explained by testing with a new lot of powder, a new bullet, or even different cases and primers.
    This is why we start at the start load and work up.
    [url] https://saami.org [/url]
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Arby,

quote:Question: How often do you (or should you) update your reloading manuals?

There are several of us here who add to our collection of reloading manuals as soon as they are published. This amounts to a very broad, historic timeline of changes in reloading data, trends in powder manufacturing, new powders and new cartridges. Being able to backtrack through older manuals for reasons of comparison is fascinating and educational. Being able to find data on obsolete cartridges is priceless.

Now does this mean that everyone should buy every manual as they become available? Heavens no. General reloaders should buy an updated manual every few years in order to stay somewhat up-to-date with new products or changes in existing products. However, like some who are stuck in the past or don't want to purchase anything then they can simply adhere to the process and products they have been using with no regard for advancements. Many of the slightly older manuals can be found in libraries and used book stores inexpensively.

Best.
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I keep a minimum of 2 current manuals. "FREE" data often leaves gaps or doesn't provide the information found in a printed manual.
  • RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bottom line; Whether your data is 40 years old or hot off the press, the same basic rules apply.
    Start low and proceed with caution.
    Powders change over time and lot to lot. Variable that affect pressure and velocity include, but aren't limited to: bullets, brass, primers, seating depth, ambient temperature, etc. etc. etc.
    [:D]