In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

NEWBIE RELOADER 'S PROGRESS - UPDATE

pirate2501pirate2501 Member Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
Well got the Lee Pro 1000 press with 9mm die set. Read the instructions which were terrible to say the least. Definitely could have explained set-up and operation in more detail. Mounted it to my bench and assembled everything as best I could according to the directions. Bought a pound of Bullseye powder and 500 CCI primers. Cleaned all the cases. Filled the case tube feeder and the primer tray. Sprinkled a small amount of powder into the automatic powder dispenser.Made sure it would dispense the 5gr.by cycling the loader into the powder tray and weighed it on the scale. Cranked up the press ram handle and started loading. Shell plate holder had to be adjusted. Did that. Started again and the case got powder and primed or so I thought. Added the bullet and it came off into the tray. Picked it up to check it out and there was no primer. OK try again. Next case seemed to get sized and primed and charged I added the bullet but it wouldn't eject from the shell plate. Finally got it out and noticed the primer was not seated all the way in. Got her going again and everthing seemed to be working fine. Made up 10 rounds having to adjust the shell plate several more times. Went to the range loaded my mag with 5 of my handloaded 9mm rounds. Aimed,pressed the trigger and poof. Black smoke in my face. Opened the slide and eject the shell. It was all black like it burned in a fire. Ejected the mag and look in the chamber and the bullet went about an eighth of an inch down the barrel and was stuck. Cost me $10 to have our club gunsmith remove it. Now he says to remove all the bullets from the other rounds and check them for powder. I'm not so sure I am gonna save any money or shoot more if this keeps up.[:(] It finally works - I loaded 162 shots in 42 minutes without a hitch. Now I might buy another in a different caliber because I'm afraid if I try to change out this one it won't work [:)]

Comments

• shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are a couple of things to improve here. [:D]

Let me make one suggestion that is probably to late. When starting to reload, it is going to be much easier to learn if you have a single stage.

The 1000 Pro is a good press for the price with some finickiness to it, this makes it that much more difficult for a newbie.

1.The shell holder adjustment needs to be on the money. You can set this without a case in. With no primers in the tray, raise the arm up to prime position. Use the radius of the shell holder cut out to adjust the shell holder until it is even both directions.

2. The primer tray needs to have primers in it and the shoot needs to be full all the time. Be smooth with the press. Make sure you make a complete upstroke in order to seat the primer. If you put the handle in a good position you should be pushing forward (towards the back of the press)on the handle it will seat the primers just fine. Make sure you keep the primer shoot and area around it clean. Flake powders will tend to get into this area. Get a compressed can of air and blow the press off every once in a while.

3. The flake powder you are using needs to have a full hopper. I use 700x with no problems, it takes about 5 rounds for it to start getting a good flow. Once it does, it measures more accurate than my other measure. ALWAYS and I mean ALWAYS check the powder level of in the case before you place the bullet on.

Full smooth strokes and the press will works just fine. There are others on here that think otherwise, but it is hard to beat for the money.
  • pirate2501pirate2501 Member Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How could I check the powder level in the case while its on the shell plate holder?
    The primer tray and shoot was full and I did see alot of powder on the press so I got a can of Compressed air to blow it off.
    Why did the bullet get stuck - no powder or not enough powder?
    Thanks for your help[:)]
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pirate2501

Probably non or very little.

You need to make sure the chain is just the right tension so it pulls the powder measure slide back all the way. You will not have any slack in it and it will use the spring slightly to pull the measure all the way back. If you have it to tight, it can bind up the measure. Make sure you have the, for the lack of a better term, slide lifter in the correct location on the measuring disk. Crappy design allows you to put it in the wrong spot. It doesn't slide correctly then.

As for checking the level. You have a scale, weigh out your amount for 10 case, lay the cases out on the table. Put your load amount in the each case. Remember what that looks like. With bullseye your probably just above the middle of the case for most loads. Remember this, look in each case before you put the bullet in. Visually you can tell if you have lots of powder or not enough.

If you have one of those stupid bullet feeders, take it off.

Also, Graphite and small amounts of a Teflon lube or oil will be your friend with this press. You can graphite the shoot if you run into problems with primers not falling down.
  • B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How could I check the powder level in the case while its on the shell plate holder?The primer tray and shoot SP (Chute) was full and I did see alot of powder on the press so I got a can of Compressed air to blow it off.

1) Look in the case.
    2) Bullet got stuck because of no powder.
    3) Lee progressive and Bullseye= Odds are against you from the start
    4) $10.00 is outrageuos
    edited November -1
    I know the guy charged me alot but I wasn't sure what to do or if the gun might be damaged.
    Maybe I can get a dental mirror to check the level of the powder in the case. It's in a tight place my fingers even have a problem seating the bullet on it.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The problems you are experiencing are the EXACT reason I highly recommend AGAINST a novice reloader starting with a progressive press set-up; doubly so when the reloader being used is noted for several issues and quirks.

I am thankful you had an undercharged/ no powder round that only stuck a bullet in the bore. Next time it VERY easily could be a double charge that destroys your gun and could harm you or someone else.

My recommendation; put the Lee 1000 aside for now, go to the auction side and get a used SINGLE STAGE press, powder measure and learn reloading on it. The chances of BAD things happening are much less.

The above is my opinion, it is learned from 40 years of reloading including the operation of Dillon 1000 commercial presses and tens of thousands of rounds of ammo. I still have all my fingers, have never blow a gun up and don't intend too.
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I have had many such problems with the Lee Pro 1000. If you plan on continuing to use it, remove the indexing rod and use as a single stage, using the front station only, until you get a feel for it, one step at a time.

The auto disc often has issues with small charges of flake powder. You can minimize these if you make sure the powder dispenser actuator chain is tight and that you run the ram ALL the way up when on the upstroke.
  • the middlethe middle Member Posts: 3,089
    edited November -1
    another pointer.....the pro-1000 primeing system just plain doesnt work!! Ive tried for years to make it work, you will only get pissed! use your press to deprime/ size the use the Lee hand primer tool,(or rcbs) it works. once you have primed cases the press works good for the rest.

weigh your finished rounds....and pull out any that are way under and over, pull them apart and find out why they are over/under. After awhile you will get a feel for it.

Be careful and good luck!
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well got the Lee Pro 1000 press with 9mm die set. Read the instructions which were terrible to say the least. Definitely could have explained set-up and operation in more detail. Mounted it to my bench and assembled everything as best I could according to the directions. Bought a pound of Bullseye powder and 500 CCI primers. Cleaned all the cases. Filled the case tube feeder and the primer tray. Sprinkled a small amount of powder into the automatic powder dispenser.Made sure it would dispense the 5gr.by cycling the loader into the powder tray and weighed it on the scale. Cranked up the press ram handle and started loading. Shell plate holder had to be adjusted. Did that. Started again and the case got powder and primed or so I thought. Added the bullet and it came off into the tray. Picked it up to check it out and there was no primer. OK try again. Next case seemed to get sized and primed and charged I added the bullet but it wouldn't eject from the shell plate. Finally got it out and noticed the primer was not seated all the way in. Got her going again and everthing seemed to be working fine. Made up 10 rounds having to adjust the shell plate several more times. Went to the range loaded my mag with 5 of my handloaded 9mm rounds. Aimed,pressed the trigger and poof. Black smoke in my face. Opened the slide and eject the shell. It was all black like it burned in a fire. Ejected the mag and look in the chamber and the bullet went about an eighth of an inch down the barrel and was stuck. Cost me $10 to have our club gunsmith remove it. Now he says to remove all the bullets from the other rounds and check them for powder. I'm not so sure I am gonna save any money or shoot more if this keeps up.[:(] It finally works - I loaded 162 shots in 42 minutes without a hitch. Now I might buy another in a different caliber because I'm afraid if I try to change out this one it won't work [:)]

Paragraphs are your friend! [:D][:D]

http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=498276
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,137 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Read bpost's reply again. And again. Keep reading it until you take his advice.

I'll echo it: Get rid of the progressive press. Get a decent single-stage press. Learn what reloading feels like and looks like ONE step at a time. Absolutely, positively ignore how many rounds per hour you can load. Do one thing to all your cases, such as size and deprime. Examine them all. Do one other thing such as reprime. Examine the cases again. Now, dispense one charge into one case. Examine it. Immediately seat one bullet in that case. Admire it. Continue.

Do that for enough years that you can instantly and without exception KNOW when something doesn't feel right, sound right or look right. Only then should you even begin to think about a progressive press. And when you do, get a Dillon.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • skyfishskyfish Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm going to add a little to what bp said.

Single stage, learn and understand what you are doing.

Powder for pistol, I like to use a powder that fills my case 75% or so, I can not double charge then. I load lots of 40sw and use Power Pistol, I can NOT double charge the powder, physically impossible. It will spill over top.

I just bought some Ramshot Silhouette but don't use Titegroup much for that reason.

Also, always look into the case as/before you place bullet. You will learn to recognize where the power level should be. If that too hard, go single stage or get a powder cop.

Bullet stuck, called a squib, at least what I call it. No powder in case, primer has enough ump to get it started into rifling. CHECK POWDER levels, either by eye or powder cop. A squib will stick a bullet in barrel, if you understand it and don't shoot again no damage. A double load, well, if you lucky will make more noise and kick more and destroy case. If your lucky.

Reloading, like flying, is not inherently dangerous if done correctly. But little mistakes can really become a big mess.

On the Lee Progressive, only a few people seem to like it and you better be mechanically inclined. It seems to need constant "tweaking". Not a real good choice for a novice reloader IMO.

Too bad the your club gunsmith charged you and didn't take you under his wing. Maybe someone in your club could help you out?
  • gknaka2gknaka2 Member Posts: 461 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Went to the range loaded my mag with 5 of my handloaded 9mm rounds.

When I work up a new load I ALWAYS put only 1 round in the cylinder or magazine...I'll "single shot" 'em until I am confident in the safety of the round.

In addition to eliminating the chances of a chain detonation, it also prevents squibs becaues you are not prone to fire into a lodged bullet if you take the time to stop and reload.
  • JustjumpJustjump Member Posts: 644 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A lot of good advice.
    Don't get discouraged!!! We all went through a learning curve. Some more painful than others. It is a great hobby and will pay off if you stick it out. Attention to detail and find the weak spots in your method and correct.
    Did you get to see how the club gunsmith removed the squib??? Probably a brass or wood dowel and a couple gentle taps. I always pull the barrel on autos and tap out. It's easy and not a big deal. Anytime a load sounds or feels different Stop! and check it out.
    Anyway call it an education and learn from it and you will be able to help the next guy!
    edited November -1
    Yes he used a wood dowel. I only load one at a time just to make sure they will work. I'm getting the hang of it now and feel more confidant. The frustration factor is gone [:)]
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    How could I check the powder level in the case while its on the shell plate holder?
    The primer tray and shoot was full and I did see alot of powder on the press so I got a can of Compressed air to blow it off.

THE VERY REASON I GOT RID OF MY LEE AND GOT A DILLON [B)][;)]

THE LEE POWDER MEASURE SUCKS !!!!! [xx(]
  • reload999reload999 Member Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree that a progressive press is not a good idea for a new reloader. A single stage press certainly is easier and safer for the newb to learn the basics and become familiar with the steps and the "feel" of the process at a slower pace. That said, I must defend the Lee 1000. Yes, they are sometimes a bit fussy, but I have used the same two (two, because I'm too lazy to change calibers on just one [;)] )for nearly 25 years with great success. ...carefully monitor the feeding of a primer (I slightly rounded and smoothed the bottom opening in the trays to ensure there are no clogs at the bottom of the tray), monitor for complete powder measure cycling every time and it works just fine. I also use a Rock Chucker.
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,137 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I analyzed the single versus progressive thing a little differently. I understood that using a progressive would save me some time while reloading a bunch of ammo. But the potential cost of just ONE bad round more than offset that time savings.

Single-stage now for... (Rocky takes off socks to count) ...53 years.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.