In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Old Primer ?

pirate2501pirate2501 Member Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
Have Remington 9 1/2 and 1 1/2 in red & green boxes also Winchester large rifle primers in yellow boxes. Both are packaged in small sleeves with black plastic trays 100 to a tray. Anybody have an idea how old they are and if they would still be usable ?

Comments

• jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    If stored in a cool dry place, primers are basically without expiration date. I'd try a few, good odds they are fine.
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,137 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They're younger than a lot that I have on hand, I can say that. I have a couple thousand still packed in wooden trays.

If they were stored correctly, they should work fine. My oldest ones are also my most accurate ones, as it happens.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • pirate2501pirate2501 Member Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank You [:)]
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    seat them in an empty case, then drop the firing pin on them. I bet they are just fine
  • Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I store my primers in a controlled enviroment (temp of approx 68-75 degrees) and the primer containers (boxes) inside sealed zip lock baggies! Never had a problem doing such! I also label their containers with a date of when I purchased them new.
    But a guy gave me several thousand large and small rifle primers that he had stored outside in his garage, subjected to severe heat and cold of the building and I had to label them as practice primers. About 3-5 out of 100 would snap.