In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

dual .357 Mag loads

countershaftcountershaft Member Posts: 320 ✭✭✭
Anyone out there load for the .357 Mag and use the same bullet and powder charge for both the rifle (Henry) and the pistol(Ruger100)ammo ?

Comments

• Options
    hdcolt51hdcolt51 Member Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No, but I do for my Marlin and Colt SAA in 45colt.Never an issue.See no reason why it would be a problem with the Henry and GP100 in .357

Might have feeding problems in the rifle if you were using SWC.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Use the same 357 load for my Marlin and pistols.
  • Options
    WinMikeWinMike Member Posts: 144 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Seems like we covered this in a couple of other threads. Sure you can use the same cartridge. The rifle should should the same load about 400-600 fps faster than the revolver.

Although my .357 rifle is now a low-wall/single shot, for years I shot various loads through a Marlin micro-groove lever action (and contrary to the various myths, lead bullets shot very well, thank you). I know round nose bullets would have fed better, but I was always uncomfortable shooting them in that rifle because of the magazine tube.

So I shot mostly SWC, and at first, occasionally had to scrape a little lead off the chamber opening, or even, as hdcolt 51 suggests, occasional refusal to feed. Judicious/careful work with a file to create a ramp on the bottom of the chamber/barrel opening allowed SWC cartridges to feed without any difficulties. All you have to do is knock off that sharp lip.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I expect the slower powders will give you a bigger gain out of the carbine barrel.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by v35
    I expect the slower powders will give you a bigger gain out of the carbine barrel.

Actually.....no. I refer you to those various loading manuals showing .357 Magnum loads for rifles. For example, the loads in the Lyman book (for TC carbine) are essentially identical to the revolver loads, but, of course, with higher velocities because of a longer barrel and the lack of a cylinder gap.

The reason, I suspect, is that the .357 case doesn't really have the capacity that most rifle(or even a .44 magnum) cases have . So if you try slower powders, you'll discover you just can't pack in enough powder to make it go faster. Ergo, 2400 or H110 are great powders for both firearms.

That's what makes the .357 Magnum a no-brainer for both revolver and rifle. Carry one load for both, or interchange with impunity: what works in one will work well in the other.
  • Options
    62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I do for .41 Mag and .44 mag ( Marlin 1894s and S&Ws). I use Blue Dot in both and haven't had any problems. I didn't want the possible confusion of weapon specific loads.

Thanks for the info on the advisory on the .41 and Blue Dot. I had heard the one on the .357 Sig. It must be time to find another propellant, any thoughts on Power Pistol?
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,190 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I feel obliged to point out the fact that Alliant now recommends against using Blue Dot for ANY 41 Magnum load, or in 125 JHP loads for the 357 Magnum. Their most recent testing has uncovered anomalies in the pressure patterns with that powder in those loads.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Rocky's right....see the warning at the top of this forum, and on their website.

and....I trust this isn't a high-jack....I've not had great experience with the current Blue Dot in .44 Spl. Older batches (probably 20 years old) of Blue Dot seemed to be fine, but there's too much residue in my latest loads. I don't use Blue Dot for that caliber any more.

This is probably a good example of what experts and long-time reloaders have been saying for years: same brand/same name powder batches are often different from batch to batch, and one should almost always be conservative when loading from a new package.

And, to get back onto the topic, some loading manuals have different loads for the Thompson Center rifle (because of its strength) than from from pistol recipes, but for the most part, the same load in your revolver will work well in any rifle.
  • Options
    gregoryhart1gregoryhart1 Member Posts: 518 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I load for a revolver and a levergun, my load of choice is a 158 gr cast RNFP on top of 13.5 gr AA#9 & small pistol primers. I've used the SWC in the past and they fed OK, but the RNFP feeds much better.
    GH1[:)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    but the RNFP feeds much better.

that's why I smoothed the bottom of the chamber into a mild ramp....let's one use SWC as well as RNFP.
  • Options
    GONESHOOTINGGONESHOOTING Member Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I always get my top velocity from my Marlin with H-110.
    Same loads for both pistol and carbine.[:)]