In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

.260 Remington

AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭✭
I'll be picking up a Remington model Seven in this chambering from my dealer this afternoon. (This is the origional model with the 18 1/2" barrel.) I have already loaded some cartridges for it in new brass but was wondering if anyone had loads or other info they would care to share.

Comments

• nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ambrose,

The short barrel, compared with the capacity of that case makes for some interesting reloading considering that there is an emphasis on minimizing muzzle blast and the commensurate noise.

In general, the best bullet selection will come from the heavier end of the scale, usually around the 140 grain class. I have paired these with AA-4064 and V V N-150 for the best results, especially considering the very short barrel. Since I consider this to be a hunting rifle, my testing ran with the Nosler Partition and similar heavy bullets. This is an ideal combination for the thicker woods or steeper terrain since it will handle everything including elk.

For lighter, thin skin game, I can switch to the 120 gr. Nosler BT and still have a balanced load for the short barrel. The AA-4064 works again but the V V selection has to make a change to the N-140 powder to stay in balance. Most other powders may exhibit similar performance but end up wasting powder or creating lots of blast and noise.

Good Luck!

Best.
  • AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    nononsense,

Thanks for your response. The cartridges I have loaded are with 120 gr. bullets (including Nosler BT's) and with slower powders than you suggest. I do not have AA-4064 on my shelves; I'll try to find some. I have the current version of the IMR4064 as well as a can or two of it when it was made by DuPont. I think I even have some of the Brigadeer 4065 left yet. Reloader 15 has a similiar burning rate so that might be worth a try, too.

I'll also try some 140 gr., too, as you suggest. I've had good results with the 129 gr. Hornady spire in some of my 6.5's, so they will get a try as well.

It will be interesting to see how close the velocity will come to my 22" Ruger in 6.5x55.