In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Better Case Results?

Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
There is Lapua brass available in 260 Rem (which is 6.5/08) and in 308. I would like to get some brass for a 7mm/08- so which approach would be better: Get the 260 brass, run it through an expander button from 6.5 to 7mm, likely causing a slight thinning of the brass at the neck; or 2. get the 308 brass, neck down from 7.62 to 7mm, likely thickening the neck slightly, then if necessary turning the necks down to a thinner dimension.??

Comments

• MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    Depends on your 7mm-08 chamber. Use whichever that gives you the neck fit you are looking for.

Or, consider the headstamp. If you use .260, at some point could it be loaded in a .260 rifle? Conversely, if it says .308, and gets loaded in a .308, not near as much danger.
  • wanted manwanted man Member Posts: 3,276
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ray B
    There is Lapua brass available in 260 Rem (which is 6.5/08) and in 308. I would like to get some brass for a 7mm/08- so which approach would be better: Get the 260 brass, run it through an expander button from 6.5 to 7mm, likely causing a slight thinning of the brass at the neck; or 2. get the 308 brass, neck down from 7.62 to 7mm, likely thickening the neck slightly, then if necessary turning the necks down to a thinner dimension.??

2. get the 308 brass, neck down from 7.62 to 7mm, likely thickening the neck slightly, then if necessary turning the necks down to a thinner dimension

^^^^^best choice
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would try a box of each to see what the rifle likes before I invested in the full 200 rounds I usually work up for a rifle. It's a lot easier to thin the neck than to make it thicker.

All of the wildcats I reformed brass for I filed a notch in the rim to serve as a notice that cartridge head stamp could now be incorrect.