In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Powder, primers, availibility?????

HawkshawHawkshaw Member Posts: 1,016 ✭✭
I have been reloading for about 50 years, and have accumulate quite a reserve of both powder, and primers. I'm just finding out that there is almost none available. Where is it going this time??? THX

Comments

• bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The mystery is unsolved. Even the articles in the gun magazines simply do not add up. There is PLENTY of off shore capacity to produce what we are trying to buy.

There is no real explanation that makes sense. We have all the key ingredients for profitable business success, willing buyers, with money, seeking products. Yet for four years or more the products are largely unavailable.

My SWAG is the shortage is largely due to the federal government, not sure how but that warm quaint feeling of governmental involvement in the "shortage" is very strong.
  • carbine100carbine100 Member Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Online availability is improving. Primers are now pretty easy to find if you keep a check on the big sellers. (Wideners, Grafs, Powder, Valley, Midsouth....)

A lot of folks got caught without a safety reserve following last panic. They are now building that reserve and availability has suffered.

Secondly, availability shortage has caused many to re-evaluate their safety reserves and do some panic buying when they find it....

....kinda like .22 ammo light, only a whole lot more folks shoot .22 than reload.
  • NavybatNavybat Member Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    And now we know that USPS is buying more JHP rounds...our government is certainly buying up a lot of supplies.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Primers and projectiles are on the shelf at local stores, have yet to see much powder.
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I saw lots of powder on shelves yesterday @$189 per 8#
    Didn't see what I wanted/didn't buy any.
    Small/large pistol primers $30/k also left on shelf.
    If you're a 28 gauge or 5.7x28 guy, I know where your ammo is.
  • Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    I was in a small local shop today and saw primers ($38/K) powder (Rl19 $115/5#) and bullets (.224 Sierra 77 gr MK $145/5C) so seemed like there's some getting through the system.
  • wanted manwanted man Member Posts: 3,276
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ray B
    I was in a small local shop today and saw primers ($38/K) powder (Rl19 $115/5#) and bullets (.224 Sierra 77 gr MK $145/5C) so seemed like there's some getting through the system.

Fridays are my day for checking on reloading components locally(Wisconsin); things appear to be becoming more available....in fits and starts....Powder -especially what appears to be the more sought after stuff- is still a bit scarce, but IF a guy absolutely HAD TO reload, he could usually find SOMETHING that would work......my $.02
  • D@DD@D Member Posts: 4,407
    edited November -1
    My local store has had everything I needed when I went a couple weeks back.
  • bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shoot trap 4-5 times a week some weeks so I use a lot of powder, shot, wads & primers.

Shotgun powder is dry as a bone around here when normally you can buy all you want.

Only powder I see available from normal suppliers is 50BMG powder.

I see powder on here for more than double what I pay for + shipping. I'll quit shooting before I pay that much for a keg of powder.

Primers, wads & shot are plentiful.
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I live pretty close to Fin, Feather, and Fur, which is a contradiction; a locally owned and managed big box store. Think mini Cabelas.

When I stop in they either have plenty or none. Talking to the manager, it's still a case of, 'they get it Monday, by Tuesday it's gone.'