In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Lyman Bullet Sizing Dies

victorj19victorj19 Member Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭
I have a couple of these 310 type dies and would like to use them. I have an adapter so they can be placed in a standard press. However, the rod is loose when inserted into the press's ram. The rim on the rod is thinner than that of the Lee rods and is too thick for for a standard shell holder. Is there shell holder or some other fix for the problem?

Thanks

Jim

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just use the 310 sizing dies in my 310 tools. I have a lyman 45 something sizer luber that I rebuilt with an O-ring follower.

I bet a new shell holder could be made that would fit the push rod of a 310 sizer. I'll look later at the 5 or 6 I have to see if the knob end is more or less standardized.
    edited November -1
    I just checked 6 of my 310 bullet sizing dies. The button head appears to be standardized at about 0.5" in diameter and 0.1" thick, the shanks vary by the size of the bullets.

I think the easy way to adapt the push rod to your press would use a standard rifle mag shell and a modified mag case. Cut 2 cases off near the web. Take 1 case and file flat to the web. Deprime the other case and drill/ream the primer hole out to the largest shank for me .459". Then cut it to C shape after reaming the head inside to accept the .5" button. Solder the 2 pieces together.

Insert standard mag shell holder in press. Put modified case in shell holder. Insert push rod into the T slot you created in the adapter.

I think I could easily make said adapter with my little Unimat lathe and a bench top drill press. Milling a new slotted shell holder out of brass or aluminum would work too.

I have pan lubed bullets and used the Lyman Kake Kutter method and tool to free them. I really like the regular sizer luber if I using a real press. If the tools are carried on my back then I'm the hand tools. Score the steel handle tools that takes the insets (only made in 1959).
  • victorj19victorj19 Member Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Charlie,

Excellent suggestion. Now I need to see if I have a couple of Mag cases and the appropriate shell holder. More work but a better solution than grinding down the button head to fit a shell holder.

Thanks,

Jim
    edited November -1
    Not as graceful, you could cut a 45 ACP lengthwise in quarters + down to the web. Flatten the pedals out, set pushrod the case and use pliers to bend the pedals up and around the button head.

I would be willing to make the mag one if you can't fashion one yourself.
    edited November -1
    I just checked mag brass, not really enough room to work with. It would work as the base with a capping piece fitted over it "[".
    edited November -1
    Charlie,

I don't have any magnum cases. I'll take you up on your offer if you'll let me do the soldering. I'll email you my address.

There's another possible way to use the 310 sizing dies in a standard press: use an adapter, screw the die in as much as possible, screw the die in from the underside, fashion a "starter ball" as used in a muzzle loader, insert bullet, insert push rod and push through. If needed it can be finished with taps with a mallet.

What do think? I try to think outside the bun and find unconventional solutions.
    edited November -1
    Yes, inverting the die and tapping on the rod with a mallet would work. There are adapters that let you screw 310 dies in a regular 7/8-14 press.

Do you have a standard rifle mag shell holder for your press? What is the largest diameter sizing die you have.

I just cut a 300 Win mag case. I found some 1" brass rod in my stuff to make the cap.

I like making stuff and was planning on making one for me, just in case. Also I needed more projects for my book.

I got your PM.
    edited November -1
    Charlie,

The largest shell holders I have are for the 45-70 Govt, 11mm Mauser, and 43 Spanish.

Jim
    edited November -1
    Ok I'll make the adapter with a 45-70 base to fit that size shell holder. What press are you using?
    edited November -1
    An old RCBS Rock Chucker.
    edited November -1
    It is a lot harder than it looks to make. Sort of fun. I had to simulate a boring bar as I couldn't find mine. Very frustrating when people sort your stuff and have no clue what they are doing. Somehow the hole for the case is cone shaped so I expanded the cut off 45-70. Cutting in the t-slot by drilling, then Dremel, the needle file. Boy a mill would have done it in seconds instead of hours. I need a little more work and it will be done.

sizingdieadapter006_zpsae4804e3.jpg

sizingdieadapter005_zps9f3cbc2b.jpg

sizingdieadapter004_zps0a6238d4.jpg
    edited November -1
    It's done. I added a locking screw that will help support the button head and also hold it in place. Should have cut the slot on the head first before cutting the bolt. Had to Dremel a slot in the set screw part to move it. Will go in the mail tomorrow or Friday. I couldn't find my 7/8-14 die adapter to test. Hope you like it. A simpler design. Flat brass head with 3 screw laid out so the heads would seat on the edge of the button head.

sizinfdieadapter002_zpsb899cd20.jpg

002_zps421c19d9.jpg
    edited November -1
    Charlie,

Looks great and like it took a lot of time to make. If you found a company to make them, probably in one piece and of steel, there may be a niche market for them.

What calibers do you reload?

Jim
    edited November -1
    My e-mail to you bounced back

Hi Jim. It went into the mail today. You might need to open the center hole to fit the shank of the largest sizer you have. A rattail file will cut the brass very quickly.

The USPS tracking # is
    9114 9999 4431 3545 1613 87

I could use some 45 Colt brass. But you don't to pay me. It was a good project and it made me look for stuff. Usually I get depressed and angry when I need to look for stuff that was moved and "re-organized".
    edited November -1
    Hi Jim did it arrive? The tracking ends at Allen Park doesn't say delivered.
    edited November -1
    Charlie,

As of yesterday, no. Today we flew to FL for two weeks.

Can you use something other than the 45LC? I have a variety on hand, rifle or pistol. Could you use some 45/70?

Jim
    edited November -1
    I printed out all the stuff and have the PO paper work. I'll try and stop where I mailed it and see what can be done from my end. The PO website was a 2 hr. nightmare in flustration trying to make an inquiry as to why it never left Allen Park.

Have a nice trip. In a few weeks I'll be house and critter sitting. They have a nice lathe and a wire feed welder. I'll be welding a repair piece on my SRC 94 AE 44 mag carrier that has been broken for years. Last week the ejector broke. I have made the repair "rod extension" and drilled into the ejector, just need to weld it in. I'll use his lathe to make my 310 adapter and another one if you have got yours by then. Yea I shoot and load for a 45-70.