In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Varget Powder data for 45-70 reloads

ArbyArby Member Posts: 668
I have a couple of pounds of Varget left over from my .223 loading days. I noted that it is much slower than IMR4198 and thought it might work in loading 45-70...couldn't find much on the subject so I called Hodgdon.

45-70 (gov't) for 300gr, JHP the start point is 57.0grs and max is 63.0grs which will slightly compress the powder.

For 400gr Lead Cast the start point is 40.0grs and the max is 50.0grs.

Lever guns need a roll crimp, single shot guns do not.

I'm thinking that the less air space in the cartridge might improve performance...

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like full cases or even lightly compressed loads in rifles. Much more consistent ignition as the powder charge is always in the relationship to the primer. I choose my powder that way. Using up odd lots, well you can't have everything.

Tubular magazines or heavy recoil even in a box magazine require a a good crimp to hold bullets in place. As a side note - topping the magazine off after a few shots every time, puts a lot of stress on the ones that stay in the magazine.

Most all my loading stuff is old roll crimp - I don't think I have any taper crimp.
  • Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by charliemeyer007
    I like full cases or even lightly compressed loads in rifles. Much more consistent ignition as the powder charge is always in the relationship to the primer. I choose my powder that way. Using up odd lots, well you can't have everything.

Tubular magazines or heavy recoil even in a box magazine require a a good crimp to hold bullets in place. As a side note - topping the magazine off after a few shots every time, puts a lot of stress on the ones that stay in the magazine.

Most all my loading stuff is old roll crimp - I don't think I have any taper crimp.

Yes, choosing a rifle powder that fills up the case much more CONSISTENT accuracy usually.
    I've seen some of the powders that leave a lot of space in the shell that would group different and erratic if the barrel was pointed up before shooting vs pointed down before shooting. (powder against primer vs powder away from primer) I call these type powders for rifles firecracker powders.
  • Options
    ArbyArby Member Posts: 668
    edited November -1
    Loaded up 15 45-70 workup rounds, 5 each, 57grs, 59grs and 61grs. Hodgdon told me that 1800fps for 300gr JHP would be at about 61 grs...all the loads are full case loads so it should be very consistent...Varget meters very nicely BTW.

I always load rifle ammo using balance beam scale and a powder trickle...hard to screw up that way...every load is dead on.