In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

RL 26

toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
Going to try some in my 300 Winchester. Any one used it in this caliber, and if so, how much, and how did it shoot? Thanks.

Comments

• nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    toad67,

Respectfully, it is a 'cartridge' not a 'caliber'. The term caliber refers to the diameter of the bullet or the bore diameter of the barrel. The term cartridge is a name for the case or the entire loaded case ready to fire.

Re-26 is a smaller, finer grain size than the Re-25 so the case fill is more dense than the Re-25. It is supposed to be less temperature sensitive although with the weather being what it is currently, we haven't tested that theory yet. [;)]

With bullet weights 180 grain and under, the load density is good at nearly 100% of the case capacity. Velocity has been respectable although not as fast as some of the double based powders, which is to be expected. Bullets over the 180 grain weight caused us to reduce the powder charges to well below the case capacity which can create problems with powder position.

These observation are made for when the bullets are seated to the SAAMI OAL.

Overall, I think it's a good powder choice especially if the temperature sensitive aspect hold true. It burns fairly clean and has been consistent when the load is consistent.

Best.
  • toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the reply NN. And yes, now that I read what I typed I did use the wrong term. Sometimes the brain and fingers don't get along so well. I was looking to use some 165 and 180 TTSx bullets. What would be your powder of choice for the 300 Winchester from your experience?
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    toad67,

My comments were based on standard cup and core bullets not the solids.

A couple of us are liking the Barnes TTSX bullets for hunting cartridges under certain conditions. The .300 Win. Mag. is one of them. Re-26 is good fit in this case when using the longer for weight Barnes solids. These bullets take up the slightly extra case space when needing to seat them a little deeper for SAAMI spec loads. This combination becomes nicely balanced and a load worth carrying in the field. The 165's for deer and 180's for elk is a balanced way of looking at the reloading, although there is no reason you can't use the heavier 180's for both. Some will argue that the 165's are too light for elk but it all depends on shot availability and shot placement.

Best.