In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Factory Crimp vs Taper Crimp die

calrugerfancalrugerfan Member Posts: 18,209
Besides the cost, what is the difference between the Lee Factory Crimp die and the Lee Taper Crimp die?

And which one should I get?

The RCBS three die set with the taper crimp built int is ridiculous to try to set.

Comments

• bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The answer is caliber specific. a case, like the 45 and 9MM that head space on the case mouth should be taper crimped. A 458 LOTT with solids , chasing dangerous game a nice roll crimp, is great.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by calrugerfan
    Besides the cost, what is the difference between the Lee Factory Crimp die and the Lee Taper Crimp die?

The RCBS three die set with the taper crimp built int is ridiculous to try to set.

The RCBS die set works fine, provided that all your brass are trimmed to the same length...if they are not, you are looking at a headache.

Variations in brass thickness could play a factor as well, but I doubt it would be very significant.
  • calrugerfancalrugerfan Member Posts: 18,209
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ECC

The RCBS die set works fine, provided that all your brass are trimmed to the same length...if they are not, you are looking at a headache.

Variations in brass thickness could play a factor as well, but I doubt it would be very significant.

I didn't think that you have to trim pistol brass.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost
    The answer is caliber specific. a case, like the 45 and 9MM that head space on the case mouth should be taper crimped. A 458 LOTT with solids , chasing dangerous game a nice roll crimp, is great.

On Lee's website, they have both for the 45 ACP.

http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/catalog/browse.cgi?1280269778.679=/html/catalog/dies-crimp.html
  • reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/catalog/browse.cgi?1280269778.679=/html/catalog/dies-crimp.html
    Cameron, order the Lee taper crimp die for your 45acp....I use mine and have never looked back. You can use your RCBS bullet seating/crimping die to seat the bullet and finish with the Lee taper crimp die.....you will not be disappointed
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by reloader44mag

Cameron, order the Lee taper crimp die for your 45acp....I use mine and have never looked back. You can use your RCBS bullet seating/crimping die to seat the bullet and finish with the Lee taper crimp die.....you will not be disappointed

Thanks. I watched the video on their website and it seemed like the simplest thing in the world.
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello Please read my two sticky post at the top of this forum I tried to explain the Pros and Cons of each type of crimp. Cheers Perry Shooter.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by perry shooter
    Hello Please read my two sticky post at the top of this forum I tried to explain the Pros and Cons of each type of crimp. Cheers Perry Shooter.

I read your stickies. They were very informative. Where I got confused was the addition of the word FACTORY crimp. Is a "factory" crimp, just a roll crimp?

Also, if the 45 ACP is supposed to have a taper crimp, why does Lee sell both types for that caliber?
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ECC

I didn't think that you have to trim pistol brass.

You do for the crimp to work on a standard die. I have never used a Lee Crimp Die though...supposedly you don't have to with their crimp die.
    edited November -1
    Cameron, email me your shipping address and I will send you my Lee 45acp taper crimp die to try out....use it for awhile and send it back to me.....I have well over 1500 rds of reloaded 45acp...so it won't be any sweat off my * for ya to try it out.....let me know ...reloader44mag
    edited November -1
    Cameron, email me your shipping address and I will send you my Lee 45acp taper crimp die to try out....use it for awhile and send it back to me.....I have well over 1500 rds of reloaded 45acp...so it won't be any sweat off my * for ya to try it out.....let me know ...reloader44mag

Thanks. Email coming.
    edited November -1
    The die, instructions and loads for 45acp will be in the mail tomorrow....see my email to you....reloader44mag
    edited November -1
    The die, instructions and loads for 45acp will be in the mail tomorrow....see my email to you....reloader44mag

You're a very nice man. I don't care what they say about you! [;)]
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    One of the problems with reloading that does not apply to factory made ammo is on straight walled 45ACP cases is as you shoot and reload them the cases get shorter and shorter but when you mix cases some reloaded one time and others 2 or more times you either need to trim all cases to the same length or Taper crimp. I have loaded between 5000 -7500 rounds per year for last 35+ years I sure don't want to trim 1/4 million cases. If your case is shorter the normal then a roll crimp will result in a mouth that will be too large and cause feed trouble and if the case is longer then normal average then the roll crimp will result in bulge of the case at the mouth causing feed trouble a taper crimp will crimp well in short normal & long cases.
    edited November -1

You're a very nice man. I don't care what they say about you! [;)]
    Yep I'm a deek....but I'm sending the entire Lee 4 die set, instructions, loads from my Lyman 48th manual and the 2010 Hogdgon manual..25pcs of Rainer Ballistics .45cal, .452, 230gr Plated LRN and 25pcs Oregon Trail "Laser-Cast" .45cal, .452 230gr lead RN, bullets to play around with. I use the following powders in .45acp...Unique and Titegroup...if ya want loads for those powders let me know....be safe....just make sure after ya try the dies out ya get them back to me...$5 bucks postage max if ya use a Priority small flat rate box....reloader44mag
  • ToolfogieToolfogie Member Posts: 1,254 ✭✭
    edited November -1

How do you set the seating/crimping die so it will seat the bullet and not crimp it too?
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Toolfogie, use a empty piece of brass and size and flare the case mouth. back off the seater die, raise the ram to the top. Screw the die down until you feel it contacting the case, them lower it until there is no more flare. Then lower the seating stem to the right depth.
    Then you can use a taper or factory crimp die.
  • ToolfogieToolfogie Member Posts: 1,254 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you, that works perfectly.[:)]
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The full name is Lee CARBIDE factory crimp die. It has a sizing ring to iron out any bulges formed in the loaded cartridge by uneven brass thickness or uneven bullet diameter. Target shooters will say it distorts the bullet, but plinkers and action shooters using mixed components will gain in functional reliability.