In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

9mm Bullseye 115gr load

je2140je2140 Member Posts: 225 ✭✭
Any recommendations for limited use full power self defense loads for 9mm using Bullseye and 115gr Hornady hollow points. Below are the loads I'm seeing in my manuals and am always a little lery when loading to maximum.

My XD Subcompact is rated for +P but may S&W 59 probably isn't

Manual Bullseye
Alliant 5.0 Grains
Speer 4.8 - 5.3 Grains
Hornady 4.7 - 5.0 Grains

Comments

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You do NOT need to be afraid of max listed loads. Just approach them with caution.

The manuals were written with max load listed being the max stable consistent load that kept pressure well under max and closer to the average SAMMI pressures.

To this very day I shoot thousands of rounds that exceed current book listings, using data from the 1980's with complete safety and comfort.
  • Options
    44shotdoctor44shotdoctor Member Posts: 178 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have several old manuels as well as new ones. The most I can find is 4.7 as a max. Myself since the starting would be about 4.2. I just usually split the difference. Most likely 4.5 would be a good comfortable load. As for self defense. that .2 at 10 feet away isn't going to make much of a difference. Except in better control of the weapon for you..
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Are you particularly attached to Bullseye?
    There are other powders that will give higher velocity at standard pressures.

But if that is all you have on hand, I would not worry about starting at 4.5 and working up to 5.0.
  • Options
    je2140je2140 Member Posts: 225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the suggestions. I was looking at Bullseye because it looked like one of the fastest powders listed and I will be shooting from a 3" barrel
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Short barrel = fast powder does not really work that way.
    A powder optimized for the round will give the highest velocity out of any usual length barrel. It might have more muzzle blast and flash from a short gun than you would like, though.
    Power Pistol and HS6 are effective high end 9mm powders.
  • Options
    cookiemeistercookiemeister Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try Unique, it works real good with that load