In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Lyman 55 & 223

DresserDanDresserDan Member Posts: 78 ✭✭
I cant get my Lyman to throw to 223 powder comes out the side around the shell. I need a small drop tube but is there any other options? Or how can I get 223 to fit tight in the drop tube I have. I am using 4198 right now because I have extra and need to use it up.

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Long skinny grains of 4198 into a 223, I'd be using a funnel on the case and dropping the charge from the measure into the funnel. I would also be using a dipper I made for the charge.
  • Options
    geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
    edited November -1
    Dresser: I had several #55's and they all came with 2 drop tubes, so .223 was not an issue. You can use a reloading funnel to the brass and drop into that.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    With my 55 and 2230, I put a funnel on the brass and drop the powder into that.
  • Options
    DresserDanDresserDan Member Posts: 78 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info. I was just trying to use this powder up and wanted to make some not real accurate plinking loads on my turret press. Guess I will just have to sit down and get it down. Too much powder going all over my bench trying to get this stuff to run.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good chance it is bridging, that's why we all use a funnel. You can see that the powder made it into the case and not fall out the measure when you move the case away.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by charliemeyer007
    Good chance it is bridging, that's why we all use a funnel. You can see that the powder made it into the case and not fall out the measure when you move the case away.

If 223 was a stick powder you are right, but it's a ball powder and meters fine in a 55 [^]