In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Is this the die that I need??

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=181696590

It says that jacketed bullets need a crimp groove, but the Hornady 185 grain XTP don't have a groove.

Comments

• bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You do not ROLL CRIMP a case that headspaces on the case mouth, such as the 45 ACP or the 9MM. These cases should ONLY be taper crimped.

With that said, many dies can be adjusted to seat and adequately grip the bullets. I loaded over 50,000 45ACP rounds before I got a taper crimp using standard RCBS dies.

The crimping grove in a bullet could be there for holding the core in place as much as a location for a seating depth, in most cases I ignore the grove all together, seeking accuracy and reliability.
  • calrugerfancalrugerfan Member Posts: 18,209
    edited November -1
    This was a taper crimp die bpost. Don't go confusing me by talking about roll crimps! [:D]
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    calrugerfan,

What Bpost is saying is for a bullet to need a cannelure (or crimping groove as they call it) would mean a roll crimp not a taper crimp.

You do not need a crimping groove on the bullet for that die to work. It should just be taper crimped with or without a groove.
  • calrugerfancalrugerfan Member Posts: 18,209
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by sandwarrior
    calrugerfan,

What Bpost is saying is for a bullet to need a cannelure (or crimping groove as they call it) would mean a roll crimp not a taper crimp.

You do not need a crimping groove on the bullet for that die to work. It should just be taper crimped with or without a groove.

Got it. Thank you. So why does Lee say that it should have a groove on their website?
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    I've loaded 1,000's of 9mm and 45ACP bullets with crimp grooves and never used one. All were taper crimped.
    The only roll crimped rounds are for revolvers.
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Calrugerfan,

I'll defer to what dcs shooter said and that is the roll crimp is for revolvers. Some have adaptations so they can shoot a rimless round such as the .45 ACP, 9mm Luger, .380 Auto, or .40 S&W. A revolver can usually use a roll or tapered crimp. The semi-autos' I've loaded for can only take a taper crimp.