In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Pacific case trimmer parts

bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
I just bought a pacific case trimmer and it needs a new cutter. Do I order the current Hornady cutter for their manual trimmer or is the Pacific a special cutter?

Also I have Lee dies, will my shell holders go in the Pacific trimmer or do I have to buy Hornady shell holders?

Comments

• Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,137 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Folks at Hornady could answer that if you ask them, with a model number.

My Hornady trimmer went through two cutter heads, They just don't seem to stay sharp at all. I just last week gave up on it and bought a Redding.

Interestingly, the Redding instruction sheet says that cutter heads can be easily sharpened with a stone. I'm not sure how that's done, specifically, but that's what it says.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i just trimmer my first batch of cases with this used trimmer I bought. I got .002-.003" difference from one side of the case mouth to the other. So, I put my dial indicator on the cutter shaft just behind the cutter head & got .012 runout!

Is this trimmer junk or is that exceptable tolerance?
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    That's too much runout. My RCBS has .006.
    Did you use the right size pilot [?][?]
    Was the brass sized before trimming [?][?]
  • zimmdenzimmden Member Posts: 237 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Trimmers that use a collet shell holder or a locking feature on the case head cannot be expected to hold the case perpendicular to the cutter. Since the body of the case is not supported, it can move enough to give an uneven cut with excessive runout. My Sinclair trimmer holds the case in perfect alignment with the case head against the stop. My cases are cut to .0005 with .001 runout.
  • bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am using the #7 pilot for 7mm rem mag(what i'm trimming).

I neck sized because I noticed when I first started the neck was about .002"-.003" larger. Sizing help tigthen the case down on the pilot, but I noticed that the pilot didn't fit as tight as I thought it should. I wiss I could get access to a lathe, i'd make one that fits tighter.

This trimmer uses shell holders to hold case and I have to hols case so it doesn't spin with trimmer. The shell holder is a #13 lyman which is 7mm.

I bought this trimmer used online aution and just luck has it previous user must have been working on the same caliber. Talk about luck.

quote:Originally posted by dcs shooters
    That's too much runout. My RCBS has .006.
    Did you use the right size pilot [?][?]
    Was the brass sized before trimming [?][?]