In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

primers crushed in case

peddlerpeddler Member Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭
I reload pistol and revolver cartridges with a Dillon SDB progressive loader. Sometimes a primer will get turned 90 degress and be pressed into case. How dangerous is that, I have never had one go off yet and hope I don't. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It can be dangerous if she blows with a lot of primers in the tube. The best way to prevent sympathetic detonation is to keep the primer arm, tray and surrounding area totally free of primer residues. Dry graphite is your friend.

I had a primer tube go BOOM on a Dillon 1000 years ago. There were about 10-15 primers in the tube when it went. I pee'd my pants a bit when they popped, it was LOUD. The force bent the primer ram rod all to heck, shooting it up out of the machine but the outer steel tube held, the brass inner liner was ruined. The force blew the primer arm out of the machine, across the bench and did I mention I pee'd my pants a bit.

Steady movement of the handle reduces shock, shock is what sets off primers. I was cranking like a mad man getting a large order of 223 loaded.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Seems when primer contacts case it just pops in case, you could say thats a shock. I usually load 50 primers at a time but may change that to 25.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Now I know why you don't like Progressive reloaders .[:D] just wait until you get as old as me you can hear water running and pee in your pants a little bit every day [:I][:o)]
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Regarding this problem with the Dillon: I also had the same thing happening. The auto-advancing pawl was worn to the point it wasn't fully turning the shell holder adequately and smoothly. When the shell plate "snapped" into place during the priming stroke, it was flipping the primer on the priming pin occasionally.
    Fix this and don't worry so much about popping a primer. While working on mine, I pushed quite a few primers in sidewise w/o a pop. Over the years, I've found that you have to do something pretty radical to a primer to make it pop. I've deprimed many that were upside down and the force of the depriming pin in the center of the primer-exactly like a firing pin but slow and steady-didn't fire a single one.
  • Options
    BGHillbillyBGHillbilly Member Posts: 1,927 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Happens with LEE 1000s all too often, usually caused by loose powder spilled in the primer area. Clean is good.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I was wondering if something like that was happening, also wondering if the primers were turning sideways when loading them into the primer tube?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    will give machine a good cleaning and see if that helps, it will just do that about 1-2 times out of 50.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have popped two primers ever. They were over the priming punch, not under the magazine, so there was no gang fire.
    The old CH was out of time and the primer was sheared against the shellplate.
    The other was a "ringer" on the Dillon. A case with the primer sealed in by corrosion such that the decapping pin just knocked out the anvil and top of the cup. The primer was sheared against the edges of the wall of the old primer.

I have seen primers upside down and edgewise with no detonation.
    Just decap and start over.

The priming system is the weak point of progressive loaders. You are asking them to handle small explosive items on equipment made to a price point, not industrial reliability.

One or two edgewise primers out of 50 is way too many.
    You need to adjust the primer feed so the cup comes up through the hole in the shellplate perfectly centered. If it snaps off the edge, that will flip the primer.
    You may also need to replace the little plastic nozzle on the magazine tube. When it gets worn it can drop primers unevenly.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks, for all the suggestions and I will also call Dillon to see what they say too.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    On my SDB, the advancing pawl was worn and sometimes didn't move the shell plate far enough to fully line up with the priming pin. Occasionally, the new primer would catch slightly on the edge of the primer pocket causing it to flip on it's side just as it was seated. Other times the "hitchie" movement of the shellplate caused the primer to flip sidewise.
    I had a LOT of difficulties with the primer feed before I finally got it squared away. In the end, all that frustration was caused by one worn part.
  • Options
    bartman45bartman45 Member Posts: 3,008 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by perry shooter
    Now I know why you don't like Progressive reloaders .[:D] just wait until you get as old as me you can hear water running and pee in your pants a little bit every day [:I][:o)]

+1 I'll keep my Redding single stage. As the Beatles song goes........."I get by with a little help from Depends"....
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by peddler
    I was wondering if something like that was happening, also wondering if the primers were turning sideways when loading them into the primer tube?

I have two SDB'S. One set for small and one for large primers. I found that if I put the plastic rod in the loading tube when loading the press tube thay don't turn at all. The little extra weight pushes them down stright [;)]
  • Options
    Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Happens with LEE 1000s all too often, usually caused by loose powder spilled in the primer area. Clean is good.

This is exactly why I went to hand priming my cases. I can't afford to go with a Dillon or other higher-end progressive, but the 1000 fit my $$. The priming was so often an issue I just got fed up with it.