In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

45 colt wadcutter?

peddlerpeddler Member Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭
Hi, anyone ever reload a 255g lswc with the base of the bullet out, to make a wadcutter? I have heard of this with a 38 special. Thanks

Comments

• perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    IMHO with a bullet of .452 you really don't need much expansion to get a large wound channel. most 45 colts are revolvers so the smaller nose then the base lets you reload faster. . do what you want to be NEAT but no real advantage.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know people that shot 1000's backwards in 38's. Seemed to work ok for them. I favor the proper bullet for the job unless you are just experimenting.

I at one time cast dead soft 44 cal wadcutters for a guy. Never saw the need to try them myself.

Lyman 452190 is what I have for a 45 Colt these days. My early S&W 25-5 took 454 bullets but the crimp grove was in the wrong place.
  • peddlerpeddler Member Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Also, does anyone shoot 200g or 230g acp bullets in a 45 Colt?
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shot all kinds and weights in mine looking for the sweet spots.

Wayback then there were no taper crimp dies and bullet jump was a problem with stiff loads.

That 8 3/8 Smith 25-5 was the second best shot load shooter to a 10" contender in 44 mag with an internal screw in choke.
  • Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have purchased .452" 230 gr RNL "ACP" bullets and loaded them in .45 Colt cases several times when I couldn't locate any .454" SWC's (I don't cast, and with 3 little kids I can't hardly find enough time to load, much less cast, anymore)

The slightly above SASS loads with Unique powder worked fine in a Uberti replica and my old Vaquero, I got decent 20-25 yard accuracy with no real leading or observable keyholes. I have yet to shoot them through the Super Redhawk .454 however. (I must say that dropping the RNL into the cylinder was much easier than with the SWC's!)

Like anything else, you might have other (better or worse) results with the guns and loads you make.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by peddler
    Hi, anyone ever reload a 255g lswc with the base of the bullet out, to make a wadcutter? I have heard of this with a 38 special. Thanks

The Lee 255 grain 45 bullet has a big fat meplat. The diameter of the meplat is so large it would seem a waste of time turning it around just to gain a few thousandths in diameter.
  • noell316noell316 Member Posts: 647 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Buffalo Bore has a 255 grain wad-cutter load. I should be a awsome defensive load.