In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Building a shooting bench

rhoperhope Member Posts: 118 ✭✭✭
I am going to build a shooting bench and am looking for some advice and suggestions. I have searched these forums and found some information but nothing that seemed to be exactly what I was looking for.

I have room for a 50 yard range extending from my garage door. The bench will be used standing on the concrete floor of the garage. It does not need to be portable or foldable. I want it large enough to be useful and heavy enough to be stable but I am already a little tight on garage space and I will have to move it aside when not in use so I don't want to make it bigger or heavier than necessary. I will use a chair so it does not need a seat.

I can get some 2x6 at a good price so am considering building the whole bench from them but I am also thinking that it would simplify the construction to use a one piece top made from heavy plywood.

I also have some large cedar pickets that I could use to make the legs. Is this a good idea or should I just go with 4x4 (or maybe 6x6) ? And am I better to go with 3 legs or 4 ?

Any comments, suggestions or pictures would be most appreciated.

Comments