In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

ok perry and other 3 gun match pistolero's.....

bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
break out the rule books.
we know when shooting 3 gun events, you cant have any arm supports or gloves, and guns must be held at arms length, one arm hold. simple.

q: are you allowed back support like rifle shooters?

reason i ask is some shooters i know have bad backs and have spine supports like those things stock boys wear in home depot.

q: can they shoot with it legally in a match? if so, can pistol shooters wear rifle jackets?

some would say its a disadvantage and cumbersome, others would challenge the back is being kept straight by un-natural means.

begin debate.....
Retired Naval Aviation
Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
Former NSSA All American
Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
MO, CT, VA.

Comments

• perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Wow I think each and ever case would have to get a ruling from N.R.A. I would take a doctors note with me stating this person had back problems and needed BACK support. When I was running the Virgina teams we had one man that had been in a wheel chair for 30+ years they allowed him to shoot and we had a Junior shooter that was on another relay that was allowed to change his targets but he had to wheel himself forward and score the shooter next to him . I thought this showed both compassion and good judgment on the Referee's part on that day on that range [^]. However the same year I had a shooter on another team that had a Chain type MEDICAL ALERT bracelet on his right wrist. Tommy had worn it for many years. This Referee's on this range this day ruling was it was a support and the shooter could either take it off or switch bracelet to other arm . IMHO a loose chain was NOT a support and I thought this referee was on a POWER TRIP with no compassion [:(!][V] . It is sort of like going to a DMV office in Virginia you just have to suck it up and go with the flow you are not going to WIN. if there is a difference of opinion. "PRAISE THE HARD-BALL GUN "
  • geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
    edited November -1
    The first line of 3.18 really gives the Match director the authority, and it "could differ" from match to match. 13.1 deals with exceptions.

So there appears to be no concrete answer (like so many things in life). Comes down to the word "facilitate" I guess.

3.18 General - All devices or equipment which may facilitate shooting and which are not mentioned in these
    rules, or which are contrary to the spirit of these rules and regulations, are forbidden. The Match Director, Official
    Referee, Jury Chairman, Supervisor, shall have the right to examine a shooter's equipment and apparel. The
    responsibility shall be upon the competitor to submit questionable equipment and apparel for official inspection and
    approval in sufficient time prior to the beginning of a match so that it will not inconvenience either the competitor or
    the official.
    13.1 Physically Disabled Shooters - A shooter who because of a physical disability cannot fire from one or
    more of the prescribed shooting positions outlined in these rules, or who must use special equipment when firing is
    privileged to petition the NRA Protest Committee for permission to assume a 27 special position or to use modified
    equipment, or both. This petition will be in the form of a written request from the person concerned to the
    Committee outlining in detail the reasons why the special position must be assumed or the special equipment must
    be used. The petition will be accompanied by pictures of the shooter in the position he desires approved and, if
    special equipment is required, the picture will show how this equipment is used. The petition and all pictures must
    be furnished in exact duplicate. The petition must be accompanied by a medical doctor's statement if the physical
    disability is not completely evident in the picture submitted.
  • bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ok, 3.18 sounds like the catch all.

now, how about people with canes? i know leaning on the bench is a foul. how about a gent with balance problems who can barely stand...who may need to lean on the bench? is that another 3.18?
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Bob the way I read it is if this is a condition that is more or less permanent then I think he should call or write N.R.A. competition dept and see if they would accept a Doctors note etc then get their reply in writing. I would keep this reply with him in his pistol box to give to the match director of any place he wants to shoot.If That match will give out awards for scores . Jim Tyree that runs the monthly matches west of Richmond. and Chuck Nothom who runs the matches at Fairfax rod and gun club could make a ruling for their club I can get address and phone numbers for both of these guys if that will help. Be aware if this person has not shot for I think 3 years he can use his old classification card or start over unclassified. . This is helpful for person that stopped shooting and then at a later date wanted to get back into shooting matches.
  • OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hate it when the officials get involved

Don Simillion was told once that he couldn't shoot from a chair that it was an unfair advantage. He asked the official nra dude how many more legs he needed to lose in order to be able to shoot from a chair.

He was told he couldn't shoot until the NRA approved his 27, shortly after that he bought a prosthetic won a DR badge just last year.
  • bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    did he lean against the table? was he able to free stand?
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.