In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Bullet Pullers

gknaka2gknaka2 Member Posts: 461 ✭✭✭
I seated a bunch of .38s a bit deeper than I am comfortable with
and do not have a bullet puller. Before buying one, wanted to know how effective they are...recommended brands, or if there are alternative SAFE methods of disassembly.

Thanks.

Comments

• gknaka2gknaka2 Member Posts: 461 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I screwed up and pushed a bullet to deep using my turret press.Will an inertia bullet puller remove the bullet?[:(][:(][:(]
  • guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use the RCBS collet puller. Simple to use. The only downside is you have to have one collet per caliber.

I never had any success with the kinetic ones.
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,133 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have both kinetic and collet pullers. I use the kinetic for small batches or handgun loads where the bullet is hard to grip. The collet gets everything else. For a "onesy" where I don't need to save the bullet, I sometimes just hold a slip-joint plier in the hole of my press (no die) and grab the bullet. Lowering the handle cams the plier jaws together just like a collet and pops the bullet as easy as pie. Use caution with this as too hard a pull can distort the top thread of the die hole.

If you use a kinetic with your 38s, you don't have to hammer until the bullet is free. Just bang it until it comes part way out. Then seat to the proper depth and re-crimp. Those loads will be inaccurate due to the crimp messing up the bullet shank, so use them as plinkers.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Pistollero1050Pistollero1050 Member Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Once again rocky you are right on the money +100. Go with the kinetic from RCBS $16 - $20 and if anything breaks or wears out they will replace it for free.
    edited November -1
    Thank you all. I normally throw bad rounds out but I made too many to waste this time.
    edited November -1
    One final tip: instead of the three-jaw holder that comes with the kinetic hammer, substitute your shellholder. It fits perfectly and is a LOT easier to manipulate.

I bang mine on a concrete floor and am not shy about how hard I hit it. One to three whacks is usually all it takes. There is a VERY remote chance you can set off the primer using a kinetic puller, so wear eye protection. Don't be overly concerned, though.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gknaka2
    Thank you all. I normally throw bad rounds out but I made too many to waste this time.

How much too deep are they? What is the load you are shooting?
    edited November -1
    125gr plated FN
    4.2gr titegroup
    OAL - 1.42"

The rounds just don't look right. My dial calipers don't lie...made 50 before I realized that I had adjusted the die for some XTP and did not change it back.
    edited November -1
    You probably will need a bullet puller - someday.

But not today. With a bullet that short, I don't think you have any problem at all with insufficient case volume. My recent Hodgdon manual shows your load as a tenth-grain below START.

Shoot 'em.
  • elubsmeelubsme Member Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Eddie's inertia bullet puller: Take one 1/2 inch piece of pipe with an end cap on bottom. Push a wad of t.p. into pipe to keep bullet from deforming. Clamp a pair of vice grips onto pipe to make a handle. Use a washer small enough to engage the rim of the cartridge. Insert into open end of pipe. Wrap a piece of duct tape over cartridge to secure it to pipe. Swing like a hammer onto a hard surface and bullet will dislodge from case. For rimless cartridges I use washers that I have altered to look like a "C" to slip into the extractor groove. [:)]
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Get the RCBS or Dillon kenetic puller.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gknaka2
    125gr plated FN
    4.2gr titegroup
    OAL - 1.42"

The rounds just don't look right. My dial calipers don't lie...made 50 before I realized that I had adjusted the die for some XTP and did not change it back.

As Mr. Raab said just shoot them, you are no where near pressure issues especially with plated bullets. It is not worth the bother to pull them for the small error you have. You might find accuracy is even better!
  • DBMJR1DBMJR1 Member Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd love to get a collet style puller, but I don't think it would work very well on my .38 spl DEWC's.[:o)]

I use an RCBS kinetic puller, and I only smack it against the end grain of wood. I actually bother to read the instructions on things like that.[:D]

Fortunately, I don't use it often.
  • Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rocky Raab
    One final tip: instead of the three-jaw holder that comes with the kinetic hammer, substitute your shellholder. It fits perfectly and is a LOT easier to manipulate.

I bang mine on a concrete floor and am not shy about how hard I hit it. One to three whacks is usually all it takes. There is a VERY remote chance you can set off the primer using a kinetic puller, so wear eye protection. Don't be overly concerned, though.

Same here about the smooth concrete floor for a kinetic AND EYE PROTECTION! I had handle break off of a RCBS and they replaced free! I did not tell them about the concrete and several thousands of rounds of useage! If they are excessively hard to pull I sacrafice the bullet by going to the RCBS press mounted collet type puller!

STAY SAFE!
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Okie743
    quote:Originally posted by Rocky Raab

Same here about the smooth concrete floor for a kinetic AND EYE PROTECTION! I had handle break off of a RCBS and they replaced free! I did not tell them about the concrete and several thousands of rounds of useage! If they are excessively hard to pull I sacrafice the bullet by going to the RCBS press mounted collet type puller!

STAY SAFE!

You could have...they still would have replaced it.
  • Pistollero1050Pistollero1050 Member Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've broken mine several times because I used it on concrete. I have found if you put down a piece of carpet or a towel it dosn't break any more.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Pistollero1050
    I've broken mine several times because I used it on concrete. I have found if you put down a piece of carpet or a towel it dosn't break any more.

I like that idea...a homemade "towel" silencer for the bullet puller. [:D]