In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Chronographs

batt43batt43 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
What is your favorite chronograph?

Comments

• batt43batt43 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm new to reloading and looking at chronographs. I have read good and * reviews for most of the chronographs I have looked up (Shooting Chrony, Pact, Oehler). Any suggestions for a "good" starter unit?
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,130 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The best is the Oehler, but it is certainly not a starter unit for most folks. The CED Millennium gets pretty good reviews, but I suppose you could find somebody bad-mouthing any of them for one reason or another. I ignore people who call a whole product line "junk" based on their use of one sample. Half the time, they haven't even read the instructions.

The higher-end Shooting Chrony models can be all some reloaders need, but other makes may have features you don't even know you need until you've used a chronograph a while. Buy the best you can afford, but be ready to outgrow it as you discover new needs.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    All I need is fps. I have a pencil, notepad, and calculator and can figure out average velocity, standard deviation, etc. from there.

Ergo a basic unit is enough for me. If you want the machine to do all this for you go for a more high end model.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the Chrony with the remote computer box and cord, I think it is the Master, I do not have the printer. If I had to do it all over, I would get the Chrony with the printer. It is nice to have printed records to attach to targets. After a couple of years you can look back and learn a lot from past strings.
  • B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do not buy a PACT anything!
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Make sure you don't have trees between your Sky Screens and the sun Changing light from leaves limbs ETC will drive you nuts . also if you shoot lead pistol bullets with lots of bullet lube the smoke can give you false readings. Put screen further down range not right in front of muzzle. I also like the type that has the sky screens attached by cables instead of all just one small self contained unit. Less costly to replace the part that has the bullet hole in it. [:I]
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the Chrony as well. Does the basics.

ps, you are not supposed to shoot the thing. LOL
  • JustjumpJustjump Member Posts: 644 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Had the same Beta Chrony Master for around 10 years. I love it and I use a good amount. Haven't shot it yet. They're affordable and they work. I leave mine set up on a tripod I bought at a yard sale.
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    My 20yr old Shooting Chrony works as good now as it did when new.
    I picked up a Beta Master a couple yrs ago just to have the read-out closer to my old eyes when shooting rifles.
  • gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    I've had a PACT chronograph for about 12 years now; reliable, easy to set up and use, accurate as my newer Oehler 35, costs about a hunnert bucks.
    The screens are detachable, it has long cables (about 15'), fits on any tripod that will hold a large camera (makes it easier to line it up w/pan/tilt), and just takes a 9v battery to get you going.
    It's never hiccupped on me, given bad data, or refused to register shots, so I don't know any reason not to get a PACT over the toaster model.
  • e8gme8gm Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a Pact for several years that gave me nothing but trouble. Finally sold it on Ebay and bought a Master Beta Chrony. Cheap and reliable it has never failed to function.
  • NavybatNavybat Member Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just bought the model F-1 Shooting Chrony (the green model)...it works great, seems easy to set up, and I can read the display from my bench even when it's 10-15 feet away.

I did shoot the shroud support steel bar once, when my pistol was not aligned with my laser--put a big "S" curve in it. Rather than pay $8.00 plus $13.00 shipping to get a new set, I went to Lowes and bought a piece of 36" steel rod to cut to fit, which cost about $3.00.

Accuracy seems good: I get repeatable numbers on similar days with the same loads. All I can ask for.
    edited November -1
    Instead of those steel supports, get yourself a bag of long bamboo BBQ skewers. They work just as well - and will break rather than slam your unit to the ground when you do clip one.
  • Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,176 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pickenup

Now you tell me. [:0][:I][:D]
  • no-bama in 2012no-bama in 2012 Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've had a shooting chrony for 15 years.It is the alfa master model,and I recomend it very highly. The alfa,beta,gamma names indicate the different amounts of options,and "master" means it has the computer head and dislpay mounted on a 15 foot cable.About 10 years ago,my buddy aimed too low with a scoped .270 and destroyed the sky screen box,but the display was not damaged.I was able to able to buy a replacement one for 1/3rd the price of a new complete unit.Also you can buy the basic model,and have it upgraded later,for a reasonable price.There are very few companies with customer service this good.
  • AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a PACT I bought in 1988 and an Oehler 35P that I bought a few years later. I have them both set up on a common bar with 5 Oehler sky screens. I get 2 readings from each shot plus the proof channel checks the Oehler reading. The 5 shot average generally agrees PACT/Oehler within 7 fps. I do not have the printer--I have to wait to let the barrel cool anyway, so I make notes. If I had to start over, I'd get the basic Oehler 35P. They cost more, but their service is great and they're top of the line. Just my 2 cents.
  • bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just started loading few months ago. I bought a Beta Shooting Chrony. I wish I had bought a more basic model. It has a bunch of features i'll never use. It's a bit difficult to use if you don't read the directions 10 X's before you use it[V]. I take the instructions with me when I use it still. Best fix is shut it off and reset it.

Also use BB's or .22 ammo to get used to it. Pissed me off I was running some experimental loads through it and didn't get a reading on about 10% of the shots first few times I used it.[:(!]

Buy a basic model, sounds like that is what you were looking for.[;)]
  • jaegermisterjaegermister Member Posts: 692 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can do "search" on this topic and get all kinds of info.
    I use a surveys tripod on mine to allow adjustment and steady hold.
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get one having remote speed sensors with the display on the bench with you.
    Besides avoiding shooting out the readout with fragments and wild shots,
    you can clearly see the display.
    Having a unit that calculates statistics from a group and prints out is a feature I'd like but don't have.
    Over the years, I've shot out my display and hit the sky screens a few times.
    I've taped a piece of 1/4" Lexan over my display to protect the unit.
    It's pock marked from fragments and doing it's job..
  • DPHMINDPHMIN Member Posts: 905 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ambrose
    I have a PACT I bought in 1988 and an Oehler 35P that I bought a few years later. I have them both set up on a common bar with 5 Oehler sky screens. I get 2 readings from each shot plus the proof channel checks the Oehler reading. The 5 shot average generally agrees PACT/Oehler within 7 fps. I do not have the printer--I have to wait to let the barrel cool anyway, so I make notes. If I had to start over, I'd get the basic Oehler 35P. They cost more, but their service is great and they're top of the line. Just my 2 cents.

This is interesting. I have an Oehler Model 12 that I bought in 1982, and wondered how the newer brands read in comparison.

If I had it to do over, I'd probably buy the 35P, but the model 12 was $99.00 in 1982, and the 35 was $299.00. Actually, the model 12 has done all I need to do.
  • dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    There are two types or Chrono users:

Those who HAVE shot a chrono

and

Those who WILL shoot a chrono.................[^]

quote:Originally posted by Bubba Jr.
    quote:Originally posted by pickenup

Now you tell me. [:0][:I][:D]
  • MtnloverMtnlover Member Posts: 66 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've had 2 Pacts and got very good service from both. Considering getting the newer one that can transfer data to a PC. The thermal printouts fade over time.
  • OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by B17-P51
    Do not buy a PACT anything!

I have a pact scale and powder dispenser and absolutly love them. Never a problem and very accurate. Made by rcbs
    edited November -1
    It's the other way around, actually. PACT made the original (and now discontinued) RCBS digital powder dispenser. PACT still makes that model in the USA, but the new RCBS Chargemaster is made in China.