In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Alliant Reloder 21

v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
Need a source of loading data for this powder.
I have 223,225,6mmx45, 243, 6.5x55 and 30-06 in high power rifle.
I've been away from reloading high power cartridges for 40 years and some powders came and went.

Comments

• Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,137 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That one's a "went." Here's one of several threads I Googled about it, from another forum (a good one!) http://shootersforum.com/showthread.htm?t=18574

While some might recommend using RL-22 data, I always recommend using data for a slightly faster powder rather than slower. Since Hercules/Alliant always numbered their powders in approximate burning order, you could use START load data for RL-19 and work to a target velocity not above standard for a given bullet.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have an Alliant book from 1998 and it's not listed on it[V]
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,137 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My older copy of "Propellant Profiles" has an article on RL-21 by John Wooters. The powder was introduced in 1965 by then-Hercules. It is both slow and bulky (not the greatest combination) and does not measure well, according to Wooters.

He lists "book" loads of 43.0 with 80-gr in the .243; 38.0/100 in 6mm Rem; and 46.0/220 gr in 30-06. He recommends standard primers only, and says it leaves a lot of powder fouling behind. He says it can be a very accurate powder, best in the 6mm Rem/257 Roberts class of case volume.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks, I struck out Googling that powder.
    There's almost a lifetime's worth of powders in storage but I can't see sprinkling $18/pound fertilizer on the lawn.
  • ButtButt Member Posts: 208 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Loaddata.com has over 50 loads listed for this powder.
  • FWAdditFWAddit Member Posts: 918 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use RL-21 in 7mm Mauser with 175-gr. bullets, and in contrast to Wooters, I find that magnum primers ignite it more consistently. I have experimented with it in .30-06, .270, and 6mm as well; standard primers work fine for me there. Other powders usually give better velocity, though, so I am hoarding my dwindling supply to use in the 7mm. Accuracy potential varies from rifle to rifle, as with all powders.

If you can find a copy of the 45th ed. of the Lyman Reloading Handbook, you can find loads there. Some of the recommended loads don't work very well, apparently because the pressure rises so slowly that the case doesn't obturate well and gets all smoked up. I am thinking of .303 British here, but other cartridges with a similar expansion ratio may present the same problem.

You would think the gentle pressure rise would make RL-21 a good powder for cast bullet loads. Forget it. The outsides of cases smoke up all the way to the head.