In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

pistol cases for reloading

toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
Since I've been acquiring S&W's like they're going out of style I think that I need to start reloading for them. I'm familiar, and have reloaded many rifle rounds I just never got around to pistol rounds. Hence I have enough brass to make it worth while but since it is mixed does it really matter if they're different mainly for plinking? No real plans for hot 44's, but if I do I'll keep to the same. Thanks.

Todd

Comments

• Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have never found any difference loading mixed cases for low power target shooting. Not that I could determine, anyway.
    I did pay attention to the case length so the crimp was consistent.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For trigger time ammo mixed brass is fine. I usually shoot my own cast bullets at near the top end of the data. I generally buy brass for the pistols 1000 at time. A light inside champher, flash hole de-burr/uniform, load them and shoot. Then a trip through the case trimmer with a inside and outside champher.

I try and buy brass without a channelure or nickel plating. I like carbide sizing dies and I bell the case the least I can get away with while not shaving lead.
  • Options
    geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
    edited November -1
    Toad: Nothing to it compared to rifle. Carbide dies with a Lee "final crimp die" and a go-no-go cartridge gauge. Read the "crimp" sticky from Perry and your good to go.

Best of luck
  • Options
    Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Indeed, .44 mid-range loads are a piece of cake. I started with a Lee Challenger kit ( with the reloading book), a pound of Unique, a pile of once fired mixed brass, primers and bullets. With this simple starter set I began a journey that has had me load up literally thousands of .44 mags and specials for handguns and rifles.

If you search around, these things can be bought fairly inexpensively, (especially if you already have a load set up or rifle rounds, all you need to add to your kit to start are carbide .44 dies and the appropriate powder,primer,bullet combos)
  • Options
    noyljnoylj Member Posts: 172 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Whether .38 spl, .45 Auto, 9x19, or .44Mag, I have NEVER found sorted cases to be more accurate than mixed. You are simply NOT talking about sub-MOA groups where those sorts of things can make any difference.
    None of the benchrest "games and toys" will do anything on target with any standard handgun.
    It is almost all bullet, powder, and shooter when it comes to handguns.
  • Options
    NavybatNavybat Member Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When doing 9mm rounds, I've noticed that "+P" shells hold less powder than regular shells, as internal volume is less due to the thicker brass. THAT might make a difference, due to pressure changes, but otherwise, I only load same headstamp per box, for consistency and aesthetics. I don't think it matters much.
  • Options
    noyljnoylj Member Posts: 172 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    >When doing 9mm rounds, I've noticed that "+P" shells hold less powder than regular shells, as internal volume is less due to the thicker brass. THAT might make a difference
    1) the ones I checked were the same internal volume
    2) I still haven't seen any group size variations out to 50 yds between mixed and sorted cases in any handgun cartridge (including 7mm TCU and .30-30, where 1 MOA groups at 100 yards are "easy").
    3) If it is safe and makes you feel more confident in your loads, do it.