In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Vibrater Tumbling

How long do you tumble your brass? Let's assume corncob media that's been used a few times.

Comments

• Sky SoldierSky Soldier Member Posts: 460
    edited November -1
    I tumble mine until it's as clean as I want it whether it takes two hours or two weeks. I clean it with corn cob media 'til it's as clean as I want it and then I run it for an hour or two with corn cob media with some Brasso added. I use the same media over and over and just keep adding fresh media as needed (as it breaks down it just falls through my second strainer screen and gets tossed). First screen is 1/4" mesh (to separate the brass) and the second is wire screen mesh (to get rid of the fines).

Best,
    SS
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Would stay away from Brasso- ammonia in it not good for prolonged exposure. If the media is not cleaning quickly enuff, find a local rock shop. Get a small pouch of aluminum oxide- add a pinch of the powder. Bag will cost you a buck or so.
  • geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
    edited November -1
    As Sky says, until it's clean. That means different things to different people, and the condition of the brass to start with. I use Walnut and Flitz from 15 minutes to 6-8 hrs. Green or Orange cleaner works also. I've had some 1917 30-06 brass that took cleaner and overnight to bring back the shine.

I have a rifle reloader friend that uses a liquid first and then a tumbler for 10hrs, because he wants it like new inside and out.

As long as it's clean to go thru the dies the rest is how pretty you want to make it.
  • Green WeenieGreen Weenie Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the inputs. I've had good results with 2-3 hours. I was just wondering what other people did.

Sky Soldier: 173rd - Ft. Campbell?
  • MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    Usually from 7:30AM to 5PM. Turn on the tumbler, go to work, come home to spanky clean brass!
  • Sky SoldierSky Soldier Member Posts: 460
    edited November -1
    quote:Sky Soldier: 173rd - Ft. Campbell?

Nope, Bien Hoa

SS
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MG1890
    Usually from 7:30AM to 5PM. Turn on the tumbler, go to work, come home to spanky clean brass!

Same here-[:D]
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    pretty much all day. I start the vibrator, then go do other things.
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Green Weenie,

I use stainless steel tumbling media with Dawn detergent in a Thumbler's Tumbler with a little Lemi Shine because I don't have time to wait around all day to get some brass clean. 1-1/2 to 2 hours is all it usually takes and that includes really clean primer pockets. Try that with corn cobs and polishing additive. On top of that, the stainless steel pins don't need to be replaced like other organic media. The initial expense is a little higher but without having to replace the media, there is money to be saved.

Best.