In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Cleaning/Polishing Brass

I have been cleaning and polishing my brass in the same corn media treated with lyman. Should I have two vibrators with two different types of media? What kind of media for cleaning and for polishing? I like my ammo to look brand new. I don't get that sometimes now. What media's would you use in the cleaning vibrator and the polishing tumbler? Thanks for any help!

Comments

• geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
    edited November -1
    Try a liquid cleaning solution first and then run with corn and Flitz.

Extra work and time, but if you want it to look "new" that's the hot set up.
  • 62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I run a Dillon 2000 with crushed walnut shells and Dillon Rapid clean for cleaning and another one filled with ground corn cob and Rapid Clean for final polish. Seems to work great for me.
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Me-
    Ultrasonic for deep cleaning.
    Corncob-for polish.
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ryans63,

Stainless steel media, Dawn and Lemi-Shine. 1/4 of the time with polished brass including the primer pockets.

Best.
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    I use corn cob and the cheapest auto polish I can find [;)]
    Can't see paying the price for Lyman or Dillon stuff [:0][}:)]
  • ryans63ryans63 Member Posts: 64 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Originally posted by nononsense
    ryans63,

Stainless steel media, Dawn and Lemi-Shine. 1/4 of the time with polished brass including the primer pockets.

Best.

Can I use a vibrating cleaner or does it have to be a rotating tumbler style with steel media?
    edited November -1
    ryans63,

You need to use the tumbler from the standpoint that you are containing water, detergent, Lemi-Shine and the brass of course. The vibrator bowls wear out real quick from the stainless steel pins and leak...

Best.
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How well does the stailess work on lightly corroded brass? I'm not talking about brass that actually has pitting. I'm talking about stuff that got corroded and I caught it relatively quickly. I've used the brillo pads and got it off and the brass looks good still underneath. But, that is way too much work.

BTW, do not leave the door to your gun room open as you step outside for a minute and your male dog didn't get to come with you.[:(!] He let me know on one of my boxes of brass that wasn't what he wanted.
    edited November -1
    sandwarrior,

Add some time and check the condition. Surface corrosion will come right off with a little more time in tumbler.

Best.
  • ryans63ryans63 Member Posts: 64 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I also have been told you mix the steel with walnuts and use the usual polisher I would on corb cob or walnuts.Do that combo half and half and I can use it in a vibrator tumbler as its dry then. Whats the opinion on matching these two up dry? I really can't spend 300.00 for a decent rotaty tumbler. I have a really nice Dillon vibrator also.
  • RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So just how good is dog urine as a brass cleaner and deodorizer?
  • casper1947casper1947 Member Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ryans63
    I also have been told you mix the steel with walnuts and use the usual polisher I would on corb cob or walnuts.Do that combo half and half and I can use it in a vibrator tumbler as its dry then. Whats the opinion on matching these two up dry? I really can't spend 300.00 for a decent rotaty tumbler. I have a really nice Dillon vibrator also.

I have been using Stainless Steal for about 4 years. The time cleaning is about 2 hours but the time drying is noticeable.
    My first 2 tumblers were home made and worked well. There are lots of ways to make your own that are inexpensive. I currently am using a Frankford Arsenal (4 months) It cost $180 and came with 5 pounds of pins (aprox $50)