In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Reloaded 16

kidthatsirishkidthatsirish Member Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭
So...thinking of this becoming my next powder for my 30-06 adventures...what experience have you all had with it?

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shot lots of H-4831 in 06's.
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think you mean Reloader 16? I have just started experimenting with it, mostly in 6.5 Creedmore. It seems similar to Reloader 17 but I believe it's supposed to be more insensitive to temperature. The burn rate is roughly in the 4350 area so it should be very useful in the .30/06, though I haven't tried it in that cartridge, yet.
  • Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,834 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Right or wrong, For the last 15 years I have almost exclusively bought and used Alliant powders.

I have not shot reloader 16, but I believe I have lots of RL15 and RL17. Yiu should expect good results.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    kidthatsirish,

The sweet spot when I ran the testing program, was using the 175 grain HPBT bullets or the Hunting version of the VLD shape bullet. Usually, I could achieve 2,900fps / 3,300ft-lbs at the upper end of the pressure curve. Going heavier or lighter didn't achieve any better energy on the target and in fact often resulted in less energy even though there was an increase in velocity. This increase in velocity was mitigated by the decrease in weight and vice versa for the heavier bullets.

Re-16 can certainly be used for other bullet weights safely and conveniently but the best selection came from the 175 grain bullets. The energy is good for slightly over 1,000 ft-lbs. at 800 yards which is slightly further than most of us are willing to try. At 1,550 ft-lbs. which many consider enough for elk, falls into the 550 yard zone which is certainly achievable from a great field position using a solid rest such as a pack or bipod.

I tested all the way up to 210 grain bullets and down to the 150 grain bullets with good results from every weight class. The pressure readings were consistent for the temperature and the velocities were certainly acceptable throughout that range. Bear in mind that most of the loads were near the top of the case capacity which bodes well for that consistency as well. Powder position in the case was of no concern.

Enjoy the process!

Best.