In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Tested first batch of reloads

The 44 magnums were perfect. Strong and very accurate.

The 45 ACP felt a little weak. Sure enough, they weren't pushing the slide all the way back. It didn't go back far enough to lock the slide open on the last round.

Recipe for the 45 ACP:

Hornady 185 Grain HP/XTP
Accurate Arms #2 - 4.7 grains
Federal Large Pistol Match primers

My cousin that helped me get started reloading suggested that I switch to AA #5 after I use the #2 up. He suggested increasing the powder to 4.8 grains. In the Barnes reloading manual #4, the minimum charge is 4.5 grains and the maximum is 5.0; not a very large spread.

They cycled fine, but they just aren't pushing the slide back far enough. The first mag, the slide didn't lock open. The second mag, the last casing didn't eject completely (since the slide didn't go back all the way, it didn't have as much time to clear the slide).

I don't want to pull the bullets to increase the powder in the rounds that I've already loaded, so I'm just going to use a factory load for the last round so the slide locks open until I use these up.

One question that I have is about the bullet seating depth. The C.O.A.L. listed in Barnes is 1.235. Mine are seated at 1.2275. However, my factory loads that I use for home defense have the same style of bullet and the C.O.A.L. is 1.204. If my bullets were seated deeper, would it increase the pressure and strength of the round?

Also, does anybody have an Accurate Arms manual so they can tell me the minimum and maximum charges that they suggest for Hornady 185 grain XTP with Accurate Arms #2?

Comments

• Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Look it up at
    http://www.accuratepowder.com/reloading.htm
    so you don't run the risk of me hitting a typo.

Your load is way light, perhaps because Barnes is using their solid copper bullet instead of jacketed lead.

The usual difference between starting load (not necessarily "minimum") and maximum is 10%, hence a range of only 4.5 - 5.0.

Barnes' OAL listing has nothing to do with what you have to do for a Hornady. Be sure your rounds will chamber freely. Been a while since I loaded any Hornadys but 1.23" is pretty long for that shape. Use it if you can.
  • Options
    calrugerfancalrugerfan Member Posts: 18,209
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the input. It didn't even dawn on my that I was using Barnes information on a Hornady bullet until now.

Can anybody post the load data for the Hornady 185 grain XTP? I couldn't find it on their website.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you dennis. As for my other question, does seating the bullet deeper increase the pressure, and therefore the power, of the load?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ok, I don't know why I didn't think of this before. In my One Book/One Caliber for 45 ACP, I looked at the "Accurate Powders" page instead of the "Hornady Bullet" page.

The starting load for the Hornady 185 XTP with #2 is 6.8 and the maximum is 7.5.

That's a far cry from my 4.5 to 5.0 data that I was using.

It also lists the Cartridge length as 1.210" instead of 1.230".
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I will post the hornady manual load for you in a little bit. The book is downstairs.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shoff14
    I will post the hornady manual load for you in a little bit. The book is downstairs.

Thanks. I'm trying to gather as much data as possible.
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is from 7th addition of hornady manual

AA #5 8.7gr to 10.4 gr

COL = 1.230

AA #2 is not listed

Your pressure question is a yes, it does. Load auto pistols to feed well in your pistol, no matter what the OAL is, adjust powder and watch pressure signs.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shoff14
    This is from 7th addition of hornady manual

AA #5 8.7gr to 10.4 gr

COL = 1.230

AA #2 is not listed

Your pressure question is a yes, it does. Load auto pistols to feed well in your pistol, no matter what the OAL is, adjust powder and watch pressure signs.

Thanks. I am going to do a test batch from the Accurate Powders page in my One Book/One Caliber. It had a range of 6.8 to 7.5 grains with a C.O.A.L. of 1.210". That seems to be more inline with what should work.