In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

The fruit of todays labor.

midnightrunpaintballermidnightrunpaintballer Member Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
I still think I can tune a little more out of it but not too shabby so far.

6 shot group at 100yds
6mm PPC
Lapua Brass
CCI BR4 primers
Barts 68gr Ultra's
And a REALLY hot load of Winchester 748

[img][/img]2v0e.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Comments

• MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    edited November -1
    come on, that's in the high '1's' let us know when you get to the low '0's'..............[}:)]
  • midnightrunpaintballermidnightrunpaintballer Member Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i had a .07 the first day i got the rifle doing initial testing and trying it out. but i was only shooting 3 shot groups that day so i dont count it.[B)]
  • MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    Wasn't that 12 o'clock bullet hole part of the group?
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MG1890

yes it was. The group was wider than it was tall. I measured at the widest point.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by midnightrunpaintballer

yes it was. The group was wider than it was tall. I measured at the widest point.

Well, I see a distinct separate bullet hole. The group has to be .243" or larger center to center to yield 2 distinct holes.

What is the rifle & optics????
  • CheechakoCheechako Member Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hate to rain on your parade but, I have to agree with MG1890. Measuring directly from your photo, it's clear that the vertical is larger than the horizontal.

I'd bet if you tried some of the stick powders you'd get those groups down into the low ones which is where you need to be to be competitive.
  • reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    paintballer...arent you glad you posted...jeez
    edited November -1
    I know that it must seem that we're picking on paintballer, but if he posts a photo of a group that doesn't seem to measure what he says it does, he opens himself to comments. He could have said the group measured .250" and I would have been impressed and congratulated him. No need to embellish.

JMHO

Ray
    edited November -1
    What can I say. I measured it both ways. The calipers Dont lie. The group to the right measured a .28
    edited November -1
    It certainly appears that there is a hole out the top that is completely seperate from the rest of the group. As MG1890 said, that means a .243" group, minimum. A group that will fit completely inside the mothball will measure between .200" and .250".

Maybe post a photo of the group without the caliper?

Ray
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    midnightrunpaintballer

quote:I still think I can tune a little more out of it but not too shabby so far.

Not too shabby for a start for sure.

I do think that there are couple of other powder which offer better performance than the 748 but to each his own.

I also can suggest a freeware program used to measure your targets:

http://www.ontargetshooting.com/

This can be quite handy when using digital images or scanned images.

Good Shooting and keep up the testing.

Best.
    edited November -1
    I know the 12 o'clock hole appears to be separate hole in the photo but it isn't. Its barely a nick the paper. The close up photo makes it appear larger. Just like it does the calipers themselves. I Dont have the target here to take additional photos, but I'll call my shooting buddy and ask him to hang on to it until I come shoot again later this week.

I know 748 isn't the best powder to use in the ppc, but like I said, I've got 24 lbs of it here and its cheap so i thought I'd try it. I discovered that it is not able to reach full pressure before the bullet leaves the barrel. I can not fit another tenth of a grain in the case (using a drop tube) and i still can't get it to show any pressure signs. Powder has too slow of a burn rate And is not efficient for this caliber. I'm planning to switch powders but I'm kinda treading water to decide whether to go with lt32 or see if lapua will start making n133 again. In the meantime, I'm having fun with it. I can push the 68 gr Bart's ultras to 3400fps with it but they're more accurate in the 3200's from this gun.
    edited November -1
    Yes, apologies. I don't mean to pick on you at all. Sometimes my black & white hardwired no nonsense Asperger world doesn't allow for anything except hard analytics.

That is great shooting, I truly would like to know the details of the rifle and optics.
    edited November -1
    No apology necessary, no offense taken. I call people out often myself. I've got thick skin :).

the rifle was bought used from the wife of a competition bench rest shooter when he passed away. The action is glued into the stock so I can't identify the barrel or stock. But what I know is as follows:

hall action built by billy Stevens of Stevens accuracy.
    barrel chambered in 6mm ppc with a tight .262 Neck
    barrel and stock unidentified
    jewell 1.5 Ounce bench rest trigger
    leupold fixed 36x scope with tucker conversin
    kelbly rings

the load in the photo is:
    lapua 220 Russian brass swaged, turned, and fire formed to 6mm ppc.
    CCI br4 primers
    barts 68 gr ultras seated to jam
    and a really hot load of winchester 748 powder.

I Dont like being jammed so i will be changing the load and most likely switching powders to either lt32 or n133. For now, I'm just playing with it. i cant post pictures from my phone and I have school right after work tonight and won't be home until late. I'll post some pictures then for you.
    edited November -1
    Sounds like you have top of the line equipment there. If the barrel still has life I would think that you should be cutting .2's consistently, and venturing into .1 land occasionally. Did I ever mention that I hate the wind?

I found a magic solution to random fliers this winter on a benchrest rifle.... I quit touching the benchrest! It had a slight amount of movement in it, It took a long time to figure it out.
    edited November -1
    It does seem to be shooting pretty well but I have no way of knowing how much barrel life is left. Could last another year, could be shot out in another month. No way to know. What do you mean you quit touching your rest? You mean adjusting in between shots? II'll admit it, I'm a bag squeezer.
    edited November -1
    No, I found that simply leaning my torso against the bench slightly was pushing the bench over about 1/8" ... This was giving me horizontal fliers.

I'm a bag squeezer, too. And I mean that in the most literal, sandbag only, benchrest shooting kind of way.

What dies do you use, and how much bullet runout are you getting?
    edited November -1
    No, I found that simply leaning my torso against the bench slightly was pushing the bench over about 1/8" ... This was giving me horizontal fliers.

I'm a bag squeezer, too. And I mean that in the most literal, sandbag only, benchrest shooting kind of way.

What dies do you use, and how much bullet runout are you getting?

ahh I'm shooting off of a concrete bench. No worries there. I'm using redding bushing neck sizing die and a Wilson seating die. Never measured bullet runout.
    edited November -1
    As Promised:
    [img][/img]lohw.jpg

[img][/img]ys01.jpg

[img][/img]aehg.jpg

edited November -1
    Bald Eagle rest?????????????

My Wilson dies starting giving me bullet runout, like .002" or so.. I still have not figured out why. Believe it or not, and I am a little embarassed to admit it, but I tried a set of Lee collet dies and the runout returned to .001" or less.
    edited November -1
    Yes, its a bald eagle rest. It belongs to my shooting buddy/mentor. I know nothing about it other than it works. I've posted that photo on several gun groups I'm a member of and you are now the second person who identified the rest from the photo. You both had the same reaction. What do you know about it?
    edited November -1
    edited November -1
    Oops, sorry, didn't see your last post.

Bald Eagle rest as in made in northern Pennsylvania. I had one. I loved it, extremely well made. Ordered mine with the cast iron base (vs. aluminum) for my 62 pound unlimited class 1000 yard rifle.
    edited November -1
    Got the new 308 barrel broke in yesterday and its showing potential. 22 round break in using bulk pack junk bullets and a load I pulled out of my @ss with no rest and not watching wind, shill shot about a 2-2.5" group for all 22 shots at 100yds. Stabilize it on a rest, and tune a load with bergers and I'm expecting it to do .2's and .3's. I took it back out of the pug stock and put the barreled action back in the safe to be my motivation to get the new nightforce scope and get the stock work done before I'm able to shoot it again.

got a load for the ppc tuned back off jam. Had a little wind and couldn't do better than .2's with it. Ill admit it was 97% operator error. I'm still attempting to learn to read wind. I'm giving up about 300fps by using win 748 powder but its definitely shooting well. If I want more velocity, I need a different powder. I can't go any higher with 748 because I'm out of case capacity and I'm using a drop tube as it is.

And trigger (my dobe) wore himself out running around so he will be nice and calm for another day or two.

Can't think of a better way to spend a Sunday.
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    good choice of rest[;)] I bought mine when I was shooting matches heavy,..but since child #2 7yrs ago,..time is at a premium

000_0002.jpg
    edited November -1
    nice! rem 700?
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JustC
    good choice of rest[;)] I bought mine when I was shooting matches heavy,..but since child #2 7yrs ago,..time is at a premium

000_0002.jpg

Is that a McMillan A2 or A3 stock? I tried one, didn't like the forearm width. Wouldn't ride the bags very well. I did like it for offhand work, though.
    edited November -1
    I believe it is an A2?? I traded a McMillan benchrest stock for it,..that was on a hunter class rifle. The automotive paint and clearcoat made it nasty when firing 168gr pills in a 308[B)]

that rifle was the benchrest rifle,..rem700 with all the work done, hart barrel, tight chamber with .336" neck at 1:11.25 twist. I changed the stock, installed the IOR rings/base/scope, and voila, a tactical rifle, albeit a little more finicky to load for with the tight neck.

here she is holding a more appropriate stock
    100_0235.jpg
    edited November -1
    MRP, how do you like the tucker conversion?? I have seen some at the matches and wondered.

that's a slick lookin rig BTW,..I have shot against a bunch of guys at 600yd matches using 6PPC's.[:0]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JustC
    MRP, how do you like the tucker conversion?? I have seen some at the matches and wondered.

that's a slick lookin rig BTW,..I have shot against a bunch of guys at 600yd matches using 6PPC's.[:0]

thanks. For me, I'm on the fence about the tucker conversion. I have an extremely difficult time locating the target through this scope and i suspect that the tucker conversion adds to this difficulty, Although not the sole cause. I Dont shoot in competitions but understand the goal of being able to see your flags through your scope. I think it would work great for that, but I Dont set my flags up to do that because my other scopes do not have the tucker conversion and I switch rifles often. For my case, if my scope hadnt come with the conversion already done, i would have never done it. im sorry I can't really be of more help on this one.