In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

lee auto primer

Never though much about why you should not use federal primers in lee auto primers. But now I don't have much choice of brands of primers I can get. Is it because the federal has thiner shell ?

Comments

• rongrong Member Posts: 8,459
    edited November -1
    Hello.
    I am using my SIL's Lee primer
    with the disc to hold multiple
    primers.I'm used to an RCBS hand
    primer.I'm getting some crushed primers,
    and find it difficult to seat many primers
    in the pocket of new Winchester brass-(CCI 550)
    primers.I never had this problem before
    with my RCBS tool. Is this Lee tool defective
    or have a bad rap or is it me?
    Thanks-Rong
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,138 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Couldn't say for sure. You might have a dimensional problem with slightly oversized primers or slightly undersized pockets. With new brass, that's a possibility. Or, you could be ham-handing the operation. Or there might be a slight misalignment of the tool/shellholder/brass.

Try a different primer, or different brass. If either one seats smoothly, you've found the problem. If you can get a good seat with ANY primer/brass combo, it's either the tool or you.

I've primed tens of thousands of cases with my two Lee Auto-Primes without a problem of any kind whatsoever - except wearing out the tool and getting free replacements at least once.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • glockman40swglockman40sw Member Posts: 105 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have two setting on my shelf because they just would not operate correctly for me! One worked for awhile and then I started having problems with it and the other one I bought to replace the first one never worked right from the get go. I went out and bought a RCBS hand primer and never had another problem.
  • SCorversSCorvers Member Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    CCI priners have a hard cup. Have the same thing with mine. Just have to pay extra attention. Winchester and Federals just slide on in.
    I have found Federals to have the softest cups. Cured "light strike" issues on several guns using the Federals.
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    send it back. I have never had a problem with mine, works great.
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,138 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    glockman, just send one to justc and the other to me. Good homes await. Heck, I'll even pay the Priority Mail bill.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • rongrong Member Posts: 8,459
    edited November -1
    Well, I've got some good feedback
    and will give it another try.
    I bought these primers bout 10 yrs
    ago from a country store getting
    rid of their firearm stuff.Never did
    like cci anyway, but I got 'em.
    Thanks guys-Ron