In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Nosler Accubond Question

westernMDhunterwesternMDhunter Member Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
I just purchased some 180 grain Nosler Accubonds for a .300 WSM and would like to know if anyone else loads them and hunts with them. I have been using the Ballistic Tips and they group very well, but the fragmentation at close distance shots are too much. I am not worried about loading bullets that are cutting holes at 300 yards, just something that will ethically harvest the animals that I pursue from close range shots(75 yards) to long range shots(300 yards) with the least amount of ruined meat. The ballistic tips seem to no matter if it's a lung shot, heart shot, or front shoulder shot fragment into other parts and sometimes blood shot into the back straps. Do Nosler Accubonds stay together/mushroom or fragment upon contact with ribs/bone?

Comments

• n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    I've shot paper with some...the standard NOSLER BT's are phenomenal on game. I've had OUTSTANDING results with them...as have many others here.
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,971 ******
    edited November -1
    SAME BULLET, JUST A 'BONDED' CORE
  • CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    They fly as straight as the Ballistic Tip and hit as hard as the Partician, I've had excellent results.
    W.D.
  • laogailaogai Member Posts: 309 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i've shot acubonds out of 2 270s, a 308 and a 300 win mag at big midwestern deer. great accuracy and expansion and penetration. i also use BTips but more so on smaller virginia deer for the reason you note. might be psychological but when i have a shot quartering in on a 340 lb (weighed) nebraska buck--as i have--i felt much better about hitting him w a bonded core than I would have w a BTip. but broadside thru the lungs a BTip is perfect.
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I rely mainly on the BT's over here on the eastern shore. I have used accubonds as well, and they perform just as well. If you feel the need for them, use them with confidence, but our MD deer don't get to be 250lbs very often, so the BT will do if that's what you have loaded already. I love the BT's, especially on Sika deer.
  • Pistollero1050Pistollero1050 Member Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shot a Pensyvania white tail last year from a tree stand at 30 ft.I was above and behind him so the bullet went in through the backbone. Did not find one piece of the Accubond and it did not exit. The lungs looked like swiss cheese but the heart and liver were untouched as were the ribs. Big entery hole and I did get a quick kill.
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Excellent shooting bullet. I haven't taken any big game with them as of yet. But, I wouldn't have any issues with them at all.
  • ChetStaffordChetStafford Member Posts: 2,794
    edited November -1
    Would the Accubonds be a good Elk bullet though?
  • CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    Yes, they work every bit as good as the partician. I've shot elk with the 180gr in my 300 Win mag, and a friend has shot 2 with his 300 H&H Mag, all with great results. I load 75grs of H4831SC, Win LRP primer and the Nosler 180gr AccuBond. You should start at 73grs and work up, looking for presure signs.
    W.D.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    I wouldn't hesitate to use BT's on Elk...the Accubonds should work on any game.