In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Help me trouble shoot my Chronograph...

n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
Hello Folks...I have a Chrony Master and it was acting up today. For the first 30 rounds (VLD's), I got readings of 356.3, 358.8, 354.1, 349.6, etc. etc. I also got a couple ERR 9 and ERR 2 readings.

This is where it gets weird. I then switched over to 180 Grain Nosler E-Tips and I started getting velocity readings in FPS...and they were right about where I would have expected them to be. I do however need to replace the balance beam bearings on my scale...I was getting quite a bit of deviation (more than normal)...and I had on 180 Grain Nosler E-Tip hit 3382 fps.

Does anyone know what could have been causing the weird readings for the first 30 rounds???

Comments

• GONESHOOTINGGONESHOOTING Member Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the f-1 and never had that kind of problem, I had err for the sky screens not catching the bullet.
    Is the 9 volt battery ok[?]
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by GONESHOOTING
    I have the f-1 and never had that kind of problem, I had err for the sky screens not catching the bullet.

What exactly do you mean by the sky screens not catching the bullets.?.?
  • GONESHOOTINGGONESHOOTING Member Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ECC

If it is cloudy and it doesn't catch the bullets shadow on the first or second screen you will get an err. Or gives you a false reading.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ECC

If it is cloudy and it doesn't catch the bullets shadow on the first or second screen you will get an err. Or gives you a false reading.

I was actually set up in a shady area...that could have been part of the problem. Those were weird readings though...
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Eric,

Have you first replaced the battery? That was the key in getting the hundreds of fps instead of the thousands for me.

The error message is from the bullet not crossing the screens squarely.

Edit:

To clean the screens if it is them just take a q-tip soaked in isopropyl alcohol.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Shady gray is better for a chronograph. On bright sunny days I put a walmart bag over the screens to create diffuse light. Did you push the FPS-MPS button? [:D]

Error 2 is missing the second sky screen. Put tape on the screen bars 1" below the diffuser. Make sure the chrony is level in your cross hairs before firing. You might be shooting the bullet so close to the sensor it is missing the shot.