In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

1903 and or Garand CMP sales

noobloadernoobloader Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
Hello all,

I am interested in picking up a serviceable (safe to shoot, doesnt need to win a beauty contest) version of either of these rifles from a CMP member, and also getting involved in some shooting events. I live in Orange County, CA and would be interested any feedback that is offered.

Thanks for the help.

noobloader

Comments

• Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    A few thoughts:

If a CMP member is selling some of his collection, that's one thing; but he can't order a gun for resale specifically (that's prohibited by CMP and I think the feds would frown on it too).

For competition, either would be a good choice, but the bolt action will be a bit more challenging. Mind you you won't be shooting benchrest matches with either, but for a Garand or as-issued service rifle match, both would hold their own.

I'd go with the M1 I think as in most events, it is still considered a legal service rifle (if rairly seen).

Mind you to throw down with the big boys, you'd have to get that M1 redone with national match sights, barrel, etc., but for fun local competitions, either woudl be fine as they sit.
  • Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Jonk,
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think either the M-1 or Springfield rifle are considered "service rifles" any longer.
    (they're now "match rifles" and you compete in "class".
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by XXCross
    Jonk,
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think either the M-1 or Springfield rifle are considered "service rifles" any longer.
    (they're now "match rifles" and you compete in "class".
    Possibly depends on the match but I know the NTI and NTIT and maybe some EIC matches still allow the M1. http://www.odcmp.com/Competitions/Rulebook.pdf See rule 6.2.1.