In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Case life

instrumentofwarinstrumentofwar Member Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭✭✭
Roughly how many reloads do you guys find you get on a higher velocity round, such as .223?

Comments

• instrumentofwarinstrumentofwar Member Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Read an article recently wherein the author claimed that high pressure rifle cases were only good for 3 loadings after the initial firing.

What?

I've reloaded some rifle cases in the non magnum class 5-6 times with full length sizing and more than that with neck sizing.

3 times seems low, even assuming full length sizing and magnum pressures.

Or am I just crazy?
    edited November -1
    What could I expect for case life in a .223, .22-250, .243, .308. Thanks[8D]
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Depends on the gun, and how hard they are loaded, on brass, on sizing technique, etc.

For instance an AR-15 or other semi auto loaded to max loads and FL sized after each shooting, probably 5-10 before cases are so chewed up or separation of heads is imminent.

Out of a bolt gun with less than max loads and neck sizing only, probably 30 or so reloads I'd guess?
    edited November -1
    Just wondering due to the wide range of case length in my once fired brass. Seems to be quite a difference, i hate case trimming too. Oh well, it needs to be done
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 jonk. You are quality conrol guy and your ammo will reflect how good of job you do. I put a lot of work/care into case prep. Last couple of years I have given away loading set up to friends that were having me load their ammo. Now when we go shooting they take the time to put spent rounds back in the correct box and they don't step on the empties. My dad enjoyed reloading, I like shooting so I do what it takes to shoot more with better ammo.
  • Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I keep a log with each sack or box of separated brass and after brass has been TRIMMED 3 times I remove it from my HV loads and use it for LV loads. (I have low vel, low recoil practice loads for most of my bolt action guns. (low velocity is around 30/30 velocities)
    I use permanent marks a lot pens and color the heads of the brass so as I can immediately see how many times it's be reloaded and each sack how many times it's been trimmed.
    I usually trim all new brass or once fired brass to .005 shorter than the min trim to length and sometimes I can get by without trimming again for couple of reload times.
    Case prep seems to be the most boring and time consuming part of reloading, but I've found that it is ONE of the main components if you into accuracy reloading. I've purposely mixed up different weight brass and also shot groups using different weights of matched brass and proved on paper how mixed up brass can make a very accurate gun look bad on paper!
    I've reloaded some of my 30-06 brass as much as 20 times without exceeding three trimmings by neck sizing only with med vel loads.
    Some manufacturesrs brass seems to be softer and stretchs faster than others therfore cannot get as many reloads before 3 trimming are required!
  • NavybatNavybat Member Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Oakie, that's a great system with the colored markers. I prefer to keep my rounds "pretty" so I just put the brass into ziplocs with the proper number of reloadings written on the outside. On my ammo boxes, I list number of times reloaded for that batch as well. In that way I can use the lowest numbers first, so the cases all average out.

I'm a newbie (I've only been reloading a little over a year) so I don't have any lots I need to discard yet. I like hearing how others do it, though.
  • Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Navybat
    Oakie, that's a great system with the colored markers. I prefer to keep my rounds "pretty" so I just put the brass into ziplocs with the proper number of reloadings written on the outside. On my ammo boxes, I list number of times reloaded for that batch as well. In that way I can use the lowest numbers first, so the cases all average out.

I'm a newbie (I've only been reloading a little over a year) so I don't have any lots I need to discard yet. I like hearing how others do it, though.

I also use zip loc's because the old paper type boxs, especially the old winchester vintage paper boxes will eventually cause the polished brass to fade more rapidly! I sometimes add a reinforcing strip of 2inch wide masking tape to the bottom of the bag to keep pointed ammo from piercing the bottom and losing ammo.
    I only color the web head end of the brass with the marks a lot.
    Ie one trim time=black, two=red, three=green, and then also add a note inside indicating all additional reload info such as number of times reloaded, hull weight, and reload data, gun caliber and serial number of gun and note if it's neck sized only for use in this gun only also on the outside of the carton! To change the color just use damp cloth or q tip with dab of acetone or laquer thinner to remove or change colors.
    (remove the color before re-priming so as to not contaminate the new primer with the liquid cleaner)

I have accurate to 60 yards plinking varmit/squirrel reloads for single shot and bolt action 223's that are around 22mag velocities (1600-2000fps) and the HV brass that has been discarded can be used for the LV reloads and the LV reloads never need trimming usually.
    Was more critical trying to find consistently accurate LV loads for 223's than HV (3000fps and up) reloads.
  • mondmond Member Posts: 6,458
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by instrumentofwar
    Roughly how many reloads do you guys find you get on a higher velocity round, such as .223?

lapua brass ,i done 16x.(55gr s/p-26gr v133) its showing its age now tho .