In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Loading when tired

v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
DONT.
Today, I blew up a model 37 Airweight. A chamber burst making the top strap disappear.
Trying to use up some old Pearl Scott powder in 9mm
45ACP and 38 Spl, I used the same 5gr load, mentally recalling it was also a light load.
Compounding the error, I used an original aluminum cylinder though I have stainless and other cylinders.
I've owned it since '59-60 and it saved the bacon more than once.
I'll replace this old friend with one of the 357 alloy J Frames or the Ruger LCR. Right now I'm brooding over loss of this $65 purchase.
Even though reloading 700 rounds gets boring, one needs to PAY ATTENTION.

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Glad you weren't hurt or that a follow upshot was needed.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tired or not--NEVER LOAD FROM MEMORY-check the manual(s).
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just be glad that revolvers tend to blow away from the shooter.
    And don't dwell on the fact that it was probably worth ten times what you paid for it, if not twenty with the aluminum cylinder.
  • Options
    Alan RushingAlan Rushing Member Posts: 9,002 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    What an awakener . . . thanks!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    That Kaboom slide show made me feel better that mine wasn't one of those valuable guns. Unfortunately, I got trigger pulls very light and put a 3' barrel on it making a very nice carry piece.
    Also,in your slide show I noted a blown revolver chamber with detonated adjacent chambers.
    The many separated cartridge heads, reinforces how bad the Mauser extractor system is in handling overpressure from burst case heads..
    As to admitting errors I read all the aviation accident reports and found smarter and more capable people than myself make compound errors, and misjudgements that end up killing themselves and others, so who am I to act holier than thou.
    Thanks WinXB
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 243winxb
    http://s338.photobucket.com/user/joe1944usa/slideshow/Firearms%20%20and%20%20Reloading/KABOOM Double check everything.

Do you want a photo of the blown S&W 37 for your KABOOM collection?
    If so, send your email address to: 1flybob@comcast.net.
    I noted this was the last shot of five. Had it been the first, the resultant KABOOM might have injured more than my pride.
  • Options
    243winxb243winxb Member Posts: 264 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just post photo here, if you want. ty.
    [url] https://saami.org [/url]
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by v35
    DONT.
    Today, I blew up a model 37 Airweight. A chamber burst making the top strap disappear.
    Trying to use up some old Pearl Scott powder in 9mm
    45ACP and 38 Spl, I used the same 5gr load, mentally recalling it was also a light load.
    Compounding the error, I used an original aluminum cylinder though I have stainless and other cylinders.
    I've owned it since '59-60 and it saved the bacon more than once.
    I'll replace this old friend with one of the 357 alloy J Frames or the Ruger LCR. Right now I'm brooding over loss of this $65 purchase.
    Even though reloading 700 rounds gets boring, one needs to PAY ATTENTION.

Hear, Hear.

I'm no stranger to the same mistakes...and more. It's best to be in a "pay attention" mode whilst reloading.